ct26 hybrid; washer found behind actuator bracket? *UPDATE* latch difference!?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

ct26 hybrid; washer found behind actuator bracket? *UPDATE* latch difference!?

Post by jimGTS »

hi couple of questions....

its been a while since ive dealt with oem turbos, but were washer(s) placed behind the actuator bracket as standard?? (i doubt it, but thought id ask)
i found a single washer behind the actuator bracket (lower section).
looking at it i realised this was shortening the arm length and in turn pulling on the wastegate latch a bit tighter.

actuator arm length, i expected it to be a mission to put the arm back on the wastegate latch, but without the washer, it simply slides on, no force required, and with the 1-2mm washer, takes a small amount of force. both options have the wastegate shut pretty tight afaik.

when ive usually dealt with wastegate arms, there would normally be about 5-8mm movement needed to slot the arm over the latch, ie requires some force. looking on youtube, every actuator video i see people have to pull the arm over to hook on as it sits 5mm short.

what is normal for OEM actuators??

by having this washer there, although slightly tighter wastegate door, it could infact mean less door travel which could be an additional factor to the boost creep im getting??

plans are to port the wastegate, hence why the unit is off.

thoughts??
Last edited by jimGTS on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slarty

Re: ct26 hybrid; washer found behind actuator bracket? *UPDATE* latch difference!?

Post by Slarty »

It's usually done to put a little more preload on the wastegate spring, to counter sagging due to age. It's a cheap and simple(ish) bodge.
jimGTS

Re: ct26 hybrid; washer found behind actuator bracket? *UPDATE* latch difference!?

Post by jimGTS »

Hi yep I've come to realise that.
Question is even with the washer, I expected it to be tighter!
But adding washers is also going to shorten the wastegate opening length which can't be good for creep. :pale:
JJ

Post by JJ »

Theres a difference in the actuator length in the CT26 to the CT20b... The longer one maybe "washer'd" up in this case...

CT20b actuator on a CT-26 turbo if I remember...
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Thanks to mr2turbotom

I popped by and have borrowed his ct26 to look at why there would be a washer and checked out the actuators lengths

Looks like actuators are exactly the same so defo a ct26 actuator.
HOWEVER what seems to be different is the latch position (rotation angle) when it was joined to the waste gate flap from factory!

Check these pics out, closed and opened positions appear different.
So hopefully all I need to do is washer up the actuator to match the unhooked positions so it has the same preload as toms spare turbo.
The 5mm preload I was guessing is infact pretty close.

3 washers seems to have done the trick

Also worth noting compressor differences.
The housing seems to have been lathed with a step :-k :-k why would this be??
This we thought was odd! So looking in profile the blades are actually bigger than they look as they are hidden my the step in the housing

My turbo no washer, arm hooks on no effort

My turbo 1 washer which is how it came, very minimal effort to hook arm on

Toms OEM turbo, can see the closed latch position difference even though arm reachs same length

Toms turbo flap open 100%

My turbo flap open at 100%

Toms arm position/preload

My turbo NEW arm position with 3 washers

Turbo difference

Toms

Mine

Comparison

The step in my inlet
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Have you pressurised the actuators to check the position of the wastegates when fully open?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Nope.
If I had a compressor I would check it out for sure.

Ps, I did pm you the other day :-)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”