[Mk2] [Turbo] Head gasket change - Engine out job?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

[Mk2] [Turbo] Head gasket change - Engine out job?

Post by Danbob »

Hi all,

Can anyone share some experience of mr2 head gasket replacement?
I know it can be done without dropping the engine out but I`m guessing it won't be fun.
Will it end up being easier to just take the engine out?

Time isn't really an issue as car is off road until May now,

Cheers
Dan
jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Head gasket change - Engine out job?

Post by jimGTS »

Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Cheers thats a really good write up.
But I suppose the question is, would it have been less pain and hassle if you dropped the engine out? All the exhaust and inlet mani bolts, cleaning the pistons etc.?

Would you do it the same way again?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Take the engine out, then you can get to everything with no problems
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

bobhatton wrote:Take the engine out, then you can get to everything with no problems

Yeah I'm starting to think it might be worth it, just taken the head off a spare engine and some of bolts that were easy when the engine is out would be really tricky with the engine in!

Have you tried it both ways?
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Sorry to confuse matters (what is the internet for eh!) but I've done it both ways and would do it with the engine in if I had the choice next time.

I would recommend removing the exhaust manifold nuts/studs first as they're the only ones that are likely to be a problem. If they come out OK then you should be pretty much good to go. If not, then you'll find out early in the process and can re-evaluate.

Draining the diff oil, removing the suspension bolts, re-bleeding the clutch and brakes all add up to a reasonable amount of work that isn't needed if you go for the engine-in option. Then you should reset the suspension geometry really too.
Having said that if there are any other things you want to change at the same time then engine out is the way to go. HFH, piston cleaning and other general maintenance jobs are way better with the engine out.

Decide what you want to do first, then the method will be easier to chose. If it's just head gasket then engine in is my shout.

Wingers
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i for sure didnt want the hassle of removing the engine!

job took a while, but i did go to town in the end and looked great.
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

OK thanks for the advice, good to hear from people who have done it both ways.
Before the head gasket went I had planned to refresh all the rear bushes over the winter (did front end last year) And I need to confirm this weekend but I suspect a rear wheel bearing is on its way out, so if that is the case then the driveshafts will be coming out the hubs anyway, and gearbox oil could do with another refresh.

Also brakes and clutch shouldn't need re-bleeding to drop the engine, last time it came out I just unbolted the clutch slave cylinder from the box and cable tied it out the way, same with the brake calipers.

I'll check the rear wheel bearings and condition of the bushes at the weekend, if they need doing then I think I'll drop the engine, if not then it might be worth leaving it in place.

Cheers
Dan
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

I'd always recommend dropping the engine. It's not hard. Our best time is 25minutes! Keep meaning to record it and get it on youtube.

Anywho, with the engine out, everything is simpler. Yes you have the trouble of getting it out, but once it's out, you can do so much more, easier.

I'll always recommend removing the sump, cleaning it along with the strainer, new gasket. Most peoples crank or oil pump seals are leaking, if the oil pump is in good condition you can change the seal on it's own. It's all very cheap on parts and means your oil will stay golden again!

You'll actually enjoy working on the engine when it's out the car. And it means you can be that much more careful putting it back together perfectly.

Call me I'll tell you what you need to do to get it out quick :thumleft:
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Thanks Luke, yeah I think the job will involve less swearing if the engine is out, I've got plenty of time so may as well make sure it's all done properly,

Cheers
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Skywalker wrote:

I'm guessing it involves a 2 post ramp. I'd spend longer than 25 minutes jacking the car up to the height needed to get the engine out from under it!
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Skywalker wrote:I'd always recommend dropping the engine. It's not hard. Our best time is 25minutes! Keep meaning to record it and get it on youtube.

Anywho, with the engine out, everything is simpler. Yes you have the trouble of getting it out, but once it's out, you can do so much more, easier.

I'll always recommend removing the sump, cleaning it along with the strainer, new gasket. Most peoples crank or oil pump seals are leaking, if the oil pump is in good condition you can change the seal on it's own. It's all very cheap on parts and means your oil will stay golden again!

You'll actually enjoy working on the engine when it's out the car. And it means you can be that much more careful putting it back together perfectly.

So does that mean when I want my cam belt done you won't charge no more than an hours labour? :lol:

Return to “Mechanical”