[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch bleeding...or maybe the other way around....

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2tmike

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch bleeding...or maybe the other way around....

Post by 2tmike »

I've just replaced the clutch master cylinder and after many hours of trying, can't get a full pedal. I pulled fluid through to the slave by vacuum and then bled the normal way (and a few variations) but it always comes to the same point with only the bottom 25% of the pedal doing anything and this isn't enough to release the clutch. On the last try I bled through a full litre of fluid and it came out without any air bubbles in ...but still the majority of pedal travel does nothing.
This is the 3rd MR2 clutch master cylinder that I've changed and I know they are a pain to bleed out but this one is something else...;((((
Any ideas will be very well received....
MartinF

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch bleeding...or maybe the other way around....

Post by MartinF »

Try pumping it and building pressure before you open the bleed nipple, sometimes that will work.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

p1$$ easy with a hydraulic bleeder. Whereabouts are you?
2tmike

Clutch

Post by 2tmike »

Hi Martin, that was one of the variations I tried...
I'll have one more go and try reverse bleeding it as it feels like the master cylinder isn't filling fully from the reservoir..
Peter, probably too far away, I'm just south of Tamworth
ej2_sir

Post by ej2_sir »

The way I did it recently when changing master and slave was to put fluid in master and crack the pipe a little. Bleed a bit until air bubbles stop. Tighten and move on to the union on near the frunk bulkhead. Crack this and bleed. Tighten and finish the normal way. I tried for about an hour doing it the normal way, this got me going in bout 10mins.
2tmike

clutch

Post by 2tmike »

thanks, I'll give it a go
2tmike

Clutch

Post by 2tmike »

Problem solved....after vacuum bleeding, pressure bleeding and cracking lines to bleed....no success at all....put old master cylinder back on and it bled through perfectly in a few minutes and the car's drivable again. The new cylinder hadn't been assembled correctly. The part that screws onto the push rod and gets attached to the clutch pedal was not crimped properly and had come loose and allowed the push rod to get cocked over to one side, in turn putting an off centre push onto the piston in the master cylinder which then let air in on the return stroke.......
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Out of interest was it a Blueprint part or a Toyota one?
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
2tmike

clutch

Post by 2tmike »

neither, from eurocar parts, a lesson to be learned there I guess...:(((
I'm going the replacement seals route now in the original cylinder since the bore looks perfect. Anyone know the part number ?

Return to “Mechanical”