Quick Q: Space saver wheel for Mk1 on MK3 roadster alloys.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jb007

Quick Q: Space saver wheel for Mk1 on MK3 roadster alloys.

Post by jb007 »

Good afternoon,

I recently sold my Mk1 to a friend of mine. I sold it complete with MK3 roadster alloys, the 15" 4 x 100 pcd ones. He wants a space saver wheel for the front in case he gets a flat tyre. He put a teardrop one in until I pointed out they are 14" and cant be used.

So im after a 15" 4 x 100 pcd space saver, so i thought the newer toyota yaris ones would do the job.

Just wanting someone to confirm this will be ok:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-YARIS- ... 4177091e08

All seems good to me, its a 15" 4 stud so will fit a MK1 using roadster alloys. Am I good to go? Its not my money im buying with and its a friend so want to make sure I get it right :thumleft:
jon_st205

Re: Quick Q: Space saver wheel for Mk1 on MK3 roadster alloys.

Post by jon_st205 »

The diameter (14", 15") doesn't matter at all, it's the overall rolling radius including the tyre which needs to be somewhere near the original, as long as it physically fits over the brake caliper. Typically space savers are a smaller diameter rim, but with a much larger profile tyre to make up for it. Likewise the teardrop should be running a taller profile which will just about match the roadster rolling radius.

Use any tyre calculator to sort it out:
http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator

The only reason to swap to a space saver would be to save a few kg's in weight, or be able to run aftermarket brakes and still be able to swap to the space saver.

Cheers,
Jon
jb007

Post by jb007 »

jon_st205 wrote:The diameter (14", 15") doesn't matter at all, it's the overall rolling radius including the tyre which needs to be somewhere near the original, as long as it physically fits over the brake caliper. Typically space savers are a smaller diameter rim, but with a much larger profile tyre to make up for it. Likewise the teardrop should be running a taller profile which will just about match the roadster rolling radius.

Use any tyre calculator to sort it out:
http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator

The only reason to swap to a space saver would be to save a few kg's in weight, or be able to run aftermarket brakes and still be able to swap to the space saver.

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon thanks for the reply.

The space saver is just for peace of mind, the car is running oem everything and I supplied him with 5 x 14" tear drop alloys with original tyre sizes fitted. One of which is the brand new, this was obviously the spare.

The tyres on the mk3 roadster alloys are 195 x 50 x 15 toyo t1r on each corner. So I need to find out the OEM mk1 14" mk1 wheels tyre sizes, which are currently fitted to all 5 I gave him.

This one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-YARIS- ... 4177091e08

That one has 125/70R15 on it so that wouldn't be suitable matching a 70 profile with a 50.
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

I believe the originals are 185/60/14's, so the teardrop is 2mm larger rolling diameter than the roadster's (hence people use the mk3 roadster setup, it's virtually identical, so the speedo stays as inaccurate as ever).

The profile is a % expression of the tyre width, so a 70 profile vs a 50 profile makes no odds, its the rolling diameter that matters.

Cheers,
Jon
jimi

Post by jimi »

195 x 50 x 15 is almost exactly the same rolling circumference as a 185 x 60 x 14 (standard teardrop size) 1737.17mm vs 1742mm
Teardrop will be fine as a spare IMHO.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Great thanks both.

Im calling him later just to double check both sizes on the originals and the roadster ones. If they are the sizes I stated and the 14's are OEM (im 99% sure) then I think we are best of just swapping a wheel over and giving it a go.

So pleased i asked here, i knew I had messed up! :roll:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

If your friend stands a pepperpot wheel with 185 60 14 tyre next to a 195 50 15 he will see that the overall diameter of each wheel & tyre is almost the same

I have roadster wheels on my car & a pepperpot wheel as a spare

No problem :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”