change of back lights

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kevin millar 1977

change of back lights

Post by kevin millar 1977 »

From this
[imgImage
To this

Any thoughts guys lol[/img]
Gullzter

Re: change of back lights

Post by Gullzter »

What lights you putting on? Cant see any :mrgreen:
Go rev 3 or rogue 6 rears dude :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

My thoughts are that it's a pretty heavy tint... are your lights still functional for things like people seeing which way you're turning? If you're in fog and you turn on your fog lights, are you actually any more visible than if you only had untinted sidelights on? Do your rear reflectors still reflect much?

I understand what your intention was, but aesthetics should never take precedence over safety IMHO :(
kevin millar 1977

lights

Rev2 lights just been blacked out with carbon fibre panel middle section that's them fitted in on the photos gullzter that you can see dude lmao
kevin millar 1977

lights

Yeh the lights still work fine shinny been checked out dude lol need blacked out reflectors now but to finish it off better mate
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

kevin millar 1977 wrote:Any thoughts guys

From your pics i doubt they are legal.

First the reflector appears to have been painted over.

Second, MOT rules changed last year - ANY modifications to any lights that change the brightness, colour or intensity is now a straight fail.

I guess you'll get want you want - attention. From TrafPol, especially withe the dark evenings coming soon.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

personally (legalities aside) id go for a very light smoke on the std lights if you were not keen on the rev3 lights.

For me the rev3 lights are the best around, rev6 ones look awful and are poorly made (i had a set on a car i broke once) and lexus lights are hmmmm - carp

just replaced the lexus lights with a set of rev3 ones on my rev2 turbo
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

IMO too dark, your lights are without doubt one of the most important aspects of any vehicle, these need to be highly visible.

Mine has a darkish tint, but still strikes a balance to keep them visible

Second, MOT rules changed last year - ANY modifications to any lights that change the brightness, colour or intensity is now a straight fail.

bu88er, think a second set of lights are needed now for MOT time![/url]
craig

Post by craig »

What did you use to tint them? Black spray paint? :mrgreen:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

l1ca wrote:

Mine has a darkish tint, but still strikes a balance to keep them visible

visable?
seriously?

i for one wouldnt want to be following either of you on the road, lol.

i think a set of oem lights with the clear indicators/reflectors would have worked better on a white car than tinting, but obviously thats my opinion, your car and all.

kevin

sorry dude, but the tint doesnt even look finished? looks like a matt finish.
the white car above at least has it polished/shiny.

personally, for looks and safety and less worry about what people behind me can see, oem lights ftw.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Another recent thread on tinting: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=173758

My rather honest opinion, though, is that tinting rear lights often cheapens the look of the car. I understand it as part of the overall look of a highly modified show car perhaps, but not really on an unmodified or lightly modified road car.

jimGTS wrote:i think a set of oem lights with the clear indicators/reflectors would have worked better on a white car than tinting

Just as an aside, getting Wolfie's clear corners to visibly work well as indicators is tricky if you want to avoid the fried-egg look of amber bulbs. At first I installed chromed bulbs and found my indicators were pretty much invisible on a sunny day. Following my own statement not to make anything worse (especially where safety is concerned) I ended up trying high-power LED bulbs until I found a set (at £35 a pair) that actually matched up to the standard brightness of amber filament bulbs. Safety (including telling other road users your intentions via indicators) should never be compromised for aesthetics.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I agree with all the points regarding the vehicle safety (and MOT) mentioned above and so I won't re-hash old ground... There are x2 points I will raise though which haven't been covered;

1) If someone goes into the back of you and "hasn't" seen your brake lights or your your case can't see your brake lights I think you'll find yourself having an interesting conversation with your insurance company with questions being raised over withdrawing your insurance if your lights weren't found to be roadworthy... On a side note have you told your insurance company about this modification?

2) If your local plod sees those light expect them to serve a prohibition order on your car as I can guarantee you that your light output is nowhere near enough. This means your vehicle cannot be used until rectified and professionally tested at your expense. If it is used without the issue being rectified and you are stopped again it will be seized. I can't remember off the top of my head if there's also a FPN fine for failing to display lighting correctly, I think there is but I can't remember the exact title of it off the top of my head :-k

To cover your main question as to how I think it looks... To be blunt I think it looks chavy. It makes the car look cheap and tacky so it's a big thumbs down from me. I prefer the original look a lot more, and feel that original lights or original lights with a bit of a twist set the car off nicely. Consider rev3 lights, Wolfie clear corners or an aftermarket design maybe. The smooth centre panel you have fitted looks alright though, I quite like that. It's your car though and so my views on car style shouldn't matter... So long as what you do is legal and your happy with it :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
VGB

Post by VGB »

Along with several others I'm also not keen. On my rev2 I had the red triangles and clear indicator sections by Wolfie. I liked the look, but it does come down to personal taste. In fairness I still prefer the modified rev2 on my previous 2 to the standard lights on my rev5.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

As has already been said by many others.... dubious legality and ugly aesthetics. Not for me but if they are indeed legal then it's up to you fella but looked miles and miles better before you changed anything.... including the centre panel.

R

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”