Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Project MRX350

Post by PW@Woodsport »

That is my only major concern Mart, i could add another idler (red) making the new belt run around more of the crank (yellow dotted).... that would give me more surface area and less chance of slip.

Something that is unintentional but might benefit me, the new idlers mean the belt returns over the top of the crank and runs back on the crank between the green lines, this will give more grip too.

All i can do is try this, there isn't any other solution apart from redesigning that whole mount.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Some more JAE pics taken by someone else....

kherseth

Post by kherseth »

It`s just so beautiful Paul.

There is a few small things that is not in my category, but nothing that would drag it down from top score in my book. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder ;)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Not happy with the belt coverage on the crank pulley on the previous design, so today i came up with this.... much better, factory wrap on the crank and SC... made possible by spacing Marcs mount out by 30mm and letting the belt run behind it, much much better. I will need to redo my right side chassis mount, not a biggy.

Started work on my 6 speed, stripped it down.... man those internals are beefy!!

Lots of issues to sort, but hey if it was easy where would be the fun?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Quaife just quoted me £660 for the Lotus Evora helical LSD unit for this gearbox, i don't think that's too bad for a Quaife product.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Not bad at all with a lotus name in it too
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ah, it isn't actually the Evora LSD, this is the Quaife aftermarket Helical one for the Evora, which is much better than the factory option.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Well you know Lotus means

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious :shock:
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

Much better routing Paul :clap:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cheers Ian :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cool animation of the 2gr-fe internals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPb6qt84fho
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Just had a quick catchup epic car Paul and nice supercharger :twisted: :twisted:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cheers Matt :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Found a pic of the car which is dated 2 weeks before i owned it, quite a transformation...

DNOS808

Previous owner

Post by DNOS808 »

Looking at that picture I suddenly recognized the registration and realized that it was my old car! I spent many hours in a farmers barn near Tewkesbury rebuilding that one.

I ended up selling it during a period when I needed cash for a house refurbishment.

It is amazing that the roof leaks since I managed to buy a full set of brand new genuine Toyota T-bar seals from a bloke in a scrap yard for £20. He had no idea what they were despite the fact that they were in original packaging with part numbers on!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ah so it was you that put all the new Toyota parts on the car! You must have spent a small fortune on it. I have all of the cars history/paperwork in a huge folder, it's really nice to hear from a former keeper, i hope you don't mind what i've done to it.

I'd love to hear what you know, where you got it from etc?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The roof seals have been replaced again since i got it and it still leaks, the windscreen also needed freshly bonding in... i've just about given up trying to get it water tight now, so i'm tin topping the car this winter.
DNOS808

Mr2

Post by DNOS808 »

Around Christmas time one year I saw it advertised in a small add in the local newspaper where my parents live. It belonged to a Doctor from Normandy near Guildford.

I bought the car for £100 which is a laugh considering what you have been offered for it now! It was broken down on his drive but I got it running and drove it home to Gloucestershire.

It came with lots of service history and receipts including one for £1200 for replacing all four calipers with Toyota Items. The bill broke down to £250 for each caliper and £200 labor. When I had a look at these "new" calipers they turned out to be refurbished ones that were available for £70 each in the trade at the time. That garage made a tidy profit that day!!

It underwent a rather slow restoration over the next few years after I got it and was finished off with a respray done by a friend who had once been in the panel beating trade. His workshop had a pet mouse and the cellulose fumes killed it off! They also almost killed the sprayer off since all he had for protection was a dust mask!!!

I sold it to a guy who bought it over the phone without even seeing it. I put quite a lot of new parts on it but I don't remember changing the dampers so I assume the guy who bought it from me must have fitted more good parts to it.

I actually put a new vibration damper on the drive shaft and I wished I had removed it before the sale because I have never been able to find another one (not that they do much).

Unfortunately I do not have many pictures of the restoration and those that I do have are on film rather than digital.

Hopefully I will see it at one of the shows some day.

Andrew
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Many thanks for that Andrew, great to hear about some of the cars history :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”