[Mk2] [Generic] Daylight Running Lights

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR22

[Mk2] [Generic] Daylight Running Lights

Post by MR22 »

What's do you think about Daylight Running Lights (DRL) on a Mk2 ?

Are they naff or maybe cool ?

Thoughts please.
nickg07

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Daylight Running Lights

Post by nickg07 »

Dude, this is not cool.

/Thread
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

they are a bit like lexus lights, they dont even look good on a lexus, and DRL dont even look good on cars that have them from the factory
Rory

Post by Rory »

I disagree. I think Audis look great with them. Was tempted to modify the side lights to fit some to mine
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

audi were the make i was referring to, R8 included
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

I spent weeks digging around on the internet for pictures etc as i couldn't decide if i liked the look of them, most i found were terrible but i think in the end i pulled it off nicely!?

shinny

Post by shinny »

I'm about to experiment with DRLs, but in a different way. No bolting on generic parts for me!

A couple of days ago I ordered some bits from china, with the thinking to add a heck of a lot of LEDs into the small square sidelights at the front. (36... so 4 times as many as I current have in there) I plan to have them on bright when the ignition comes on and then dim them significantly as I turn on my side lights. Being within a standard housing it shouldn't look bolted on at all and I'm using warm-white LEDs so they won't clash with the rest of my lighting. I've no idea if it will work well or not, but for £8 worth of components it's worth a try to satisfy my curiosity is nothing else.

I'm sure I'll post an update when the parts arrive and I get round to trial fitting them.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Shinny mate :clap: Ain't this what it's all about? But watch out Giddens about!
shinny

Post by shinny »

Thanks... we'll see how it goes. It's not the first time I'll have done something different with my lights. I currently have switchback LEDs working as both reverse and fog lights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGPkSHGymlQ

(Discussion here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=172055)

That said, I'm about to remove them as they're the only blueish-white LEDs left visible on my car. IN their place will be going up to 96 5050 warm white LEDs that should do a very good job in showing where I'm going when reversing in the dark. (What happens with fog lights is TBD though)
RST

Post by RST »

I think it should be law to drive with some form of lights on -but I always drive with my sidelights on, apart from an LED upgrade isn't that an almost free mod?
Rory

Post by Rory »

It is the law in some countries. I always do it out of habit. The army drummed that into me lol

Return to “Modifications”