[Mk2] [Turbo] Need help bad! Do I have crankwalk?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

1991mr2turbo

[Mk2] [Turbo] Need help bad! Do I have crankwalk?

Post by 1991mr2turbo »

Hey there guys, I have a 1991 mr2 turbo USDM. The car has a very weird problem that no one can figure out and I've taken it too ALOT of mechanics but still no real solution. Basically what happens is when the cars cold and I press the clutch, the rpms decrease by 200 but when cars fully warmed up the car stalls out with clutch pressed. The car seems to drive fine other then this and this only happens when I press the clutch in neutral. No weird knocking or ticking noises. One of my mechanics checked the obd codes, and said I have a code 24 ( bad intake air temperature sensor/ AFM), could this be the problem or do I have crankwalk?

So far I've done the following:

-Replaced clutch and flywheel
-cleaned iacv and throttle body
-checked crank pulley for visible movement and there was none, also had a mechanic look at it with a prybar and he said no movement what so ever
-Tried several idle reset procedures

Any help is greatly appreciated...I'm about to throw in the towel and sell my beloved car
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Need help bad! Do I have crankwalk?

Post by Chr15py »

Sounds like you've mentioned your problem - air flow meter on its way out. If you have a friend near with the same car, try to swap out the AFM and see if it makes a difference.

Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
mrdb

Post by mrdb »

To check for crank walk ( thrust bearing issues )

Look at the crank pully and get someone to press clutch in. It will move out / in when clutch is pressed if thrust bearings are gone.

If it does move stop driving it untill you can fix it or it will scrap the block / crank.

If thats ok its probably to do with the AFM as loading changes on the engine when clutch is pressed in.
1991mr2turbo

Post by 1991mr2turbo »

Chr15py wrote:Sounds like you've mentioned your problem - air flow meter on its way out. If you have a friend near with the same car, try to swap out the AFM and see if it makes a difference.

Chris

There's noone I know with another mr2 so I'm thinking I'll just buy another AFM and replace it with mine. I hope it fixes the issue, but could the AFM really cause the car to stall with clutch depressed while stationary but drive perfect other then that?
1991mr2turbo

Post by 1991mr2turbo »

mrdb wrote:To check for crank walk ( thrust bearing issues )

Look at the crank pully and get someone to press clutch in. It will move out / in when clutch is pressed if thrust bearings are gone.

If it does move stop driving it untill you can fix it or it will scrap the block / crank.

If thats ok its probably to do with the AFM as loading changes on the engine when clutch is pressed in.

Yeah I checked already with my brother depressing the clutch while I looked at the pulley and there was no visible movement. I also had a mechanic come and while I pressed the clutch in, he measured the distance with a pry bar and said there was no movement.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

1991mr2turbo wrote:Hey there guys, I have a 1991 mr2 turbo USDM. The car has a very weird problem that no one can figure out and I've taken it too ALOT of mechanics but still no real solution. Basically what happens is when the cars cold and I press the clutch, the rpms decrease by 200 but when cars fully warmed up the car stalls out with clutch pressed. The car seems to drive fine other then this and this only happens when I press the clutch in neutral. No weird knocking or ticking noises. One of my mechanics checked the obd codes, and said I have a code 24 ( bad intake air temperature sensor/ AFM), could this be the problem or do I have crankwalk?

-checked crank pulley for visible movement and there was none, also had a mechanic look at it with a prybar and he said no movement what so ever

Any help is greatly appreciated...I'm about to throw in the towel and sell my beloved car

Remove the sump and check the thrust bearings. I think you will find they are damaged and so will be the crank
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
1991mr2turbo

Post by 1991mr2turbo »

bobhatton wrote:
1991mr2turbo wrote:Hey there guys, I have a 1991 mr2 turbo USDM. The car has a very weird problem that no one can figure out and I've taken it too ALOT of mechanics but still no real solution. Basically what happens is when the cars cold and I press the clutch, the rpms decrease by 200 but when cars fully warmed up the car stalls out with clutch pressed. The car seems to drive fine other then this and this only happens when I press the clutch in neutral. No weird knocking or ticking noises. One of my mechanics checked the obd codes, and said I have a code 24 ( bad intake air temperature sensor/ AFM), could this be the problem or do I have crankwalk?

Remove the sump and check the thrust bearings. I think you will find they are damaged and so will be the crank

That's what I was afraid of, so you don't think it could be the AFM? Right now my cars stored and I plan on taking it to a shop that specializes in Toyota after the weather warms up a bit. If the thrust bearings are damaged, can I just replace the bearings and the engine will be fine? Or do I have to replace the block as well? Also this problem occurs only in neutral but the car shifts fine while driving and doesn't stall out when in gear and clutch pushed in.
1991mr2turbo

Post by 1991mr2turbo »

Bump! Anyone have any other ideas on what it could be? All help so far is much appreciated!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

1991mr2turbo wrote:Bump! Anyone have any other ideas on what it could be? All help so far is much appreciated!

Have you sorted the error code yet?
1991mr2turbo

Post by 1991mr2turbo »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
1991mr2turbo wrote:Bump! Anyone have any other ideas on what it could be? All help so far is much appreciated!

Have you sorted the error code yet?

Not yet, am still looking for a used AFM to buy. I honestly do think its going to be the thrust bearings that are causing my problem. I just dont see how the AFM can cause the car to stall out only in neutral with clutch depressed, but work fine in everything else. If the thrust washers are damaged, would I be able to just swap out the thrust washers with new ones and I wont have the problem again? Or do I have to swap out the entire block? Also would I be able to swap the washers out by just dropping the oil pan and putting them in, or do I need to drop the whole engine?
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

If the thrust washers are not too worn then you should just get away with changing them out, but until you take the oil pan off it will be hard to tell.

You can try measuring the play with a dial gauge as there will be a maximum spec in the repair book somewhere.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
1991mr2turbo

Post by 1991mr2turbo »

MartinF wrote:If the thrust washers are not too worn then you should just get away with changing them out, but until you take the oil pan off it will be hard to tell.

You can try measuring the play with a dial gauge as there will be a maximum spec in the repair book somewhere.

Good to hear. I just don't want to come across this issue again, it's quite clear to me now the previous owner before me abused the hell out of my car. Really hoping its just the washers being worn and replacing them completely fixes the issue. Since I noticed no movement even with a prybar to the crank pulley with clutch depressed, I doubt there can be much damage. Am I correct to think that?

Return to “Mechanical”