[Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting decat

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adaz

[Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting decat

Post by adaz »

I'm planning to fit decat this Saturday and I wonder if there's anything that I should buy before I start working on it? Gaskets, studs etc.
joemacmr2

Decat

Post by joemacmr2 »

Get gasket for exhaust side. Use existing gasket at turbo end if it's in good shape. Mines was grand. It makes a big difference if bolts were off before. I got a berk decat off gtschris which came with a support bracket, gasket/bolts for exhaust end. Bolts are turbo end are re usable if u don't round them.
Good luck cause it's a real pita. U only want to do this once mate. Allow about 5 hrs all in.
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting decat

Post by craig »

Be aware that on a you'll need to have the cat in place for the MOT test, as it'll be a cat test on a '96 turbo.
adaz

Post by adaz »

Ok, I'm stuck! Could anyone tell me what is this sensor for and whether it's necessary (e.g. can I just cut it off)?

Slarty

Post by Slarty »

You can remove it, it's just the cat over-temperature sensor.
craig

Post by craig »

Should be a hole in the downpipe for the oxygen sensor, but cat temp sensor is not required with a decat pipe.
adaz

Post by adaz »

Thanks guys, I disconnected that cat temperature sensor and it seems to work fine without it. I did panic when I first saw this as my decat pipe did not have second slot for another sensor!

It took me about 6 hours and I wish my hands were a bit smaller but it was definitely worth it! I was a bit concerned that the car is going to be ridiculously loud (it was quite loud already) but the sound turned out to be just a bit deeper.

Return to “Modifications”