Best results from a home respray?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Re: Best results from a home respray?

Post by KarlBristol »

Super_red wrote:1k is less hard wearing yes, its also just acrylic based and has no acticvator like 2k or 2 pak. It cures the same way as the base coat by just letting the solvents out.

My estimate of paint required was for painting only the outside of the boot and not the inside. If you buy a boot lid of a differene colour then there is no way half a litre would do it (its close already) but a litre should do.

As I said before I've never used 2k but as it cures a different way to the base coat if I were to use it I would let the base fully cure before puttin gon the laqure. Fully curing at room temperature takes days, I would proably allow a week myself. This goes for any surface finishing you want to do the the laqure, leave it a week to fully cure.

Thank you :thumleft:

I've got a proper little 'to buy' list now :mrgreen:

I've now got a replacement bumper organised to respray (x2 actually) and a boot lid. In a couple of months I will do it all and post up the results.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Just thinking about the logistics of spraying my panels... I will most likely do it in my garage and hang them from the ceiling (so my car can still be parked below and I can do both inside and out of the boot lid).

As I'm spraying in my garage and given the time of year and temperatures would I need some form of heating in there?

Would the cold (I'm not sure how cold the block built garage would get) affect the paint or lacquer at all?

Super_red

Post by Super_red »

I dont know how cold it gets in there but the effects of painting cold paint or onto cold panels is paint blooming where the paint gathers up into blotches after its painted. If it goes below about 15 degrees when the paint is curing it will extend the curing process as it wont cure below 15ish.

I have sprayed in a garage and I have used a space heater to heat the room with the panels in before spraying, turning it off while spraying! I keep the paint indoors before spraying.

There are also more issues with water droplets in the compressed air when painting in colder atmospheres. I have a centrefugal water trap that I fit when spraying.

Remember that spray guns will not pick up the paint at every angle, your best option is to mount the panels so that every surface you want to paint is pointing upright. Its unlikely you will be able to paint both sides of the boot lid at the same time as it will leave areas that will be totally on the underside. Paint the inside of the boot lid first so the overspray from the outside goes onto the inside last, this will look better. If your worried about how much paint you've got then just do around the edges and about 3 inches in and come back to fill in the middle when you know you've got enough left.
Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

Super_red wrote:Regarding a dull finish on metalics just remember to do nothing to the base coat before applying laqure. No sanding no nothing. Metalics are designed to have an already keyed surface that you can just laqure straight onto. If its a very rough surface you can give it 2-3 coats of laqure then sand flat and laqure again.

If you sand the metalic base before laqure it will never pop like it should as you'll sand most of the metalic particles out. Always do 5+ coats of laqure and be prepared to sand it flat with some quite abrasive paper before finally finishing it up, this will give a factory type finish.

5 coats of laquer :0 surely a bit excessive I only use a half wet coat and a wet coat with the 2k stuff I use lol
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Not sure if that's because he uses 1k lacquer and not 2k lacquer though :-k

Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

Ah hadn't noticed that!
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Interesting stuff, regarding my earlier questing thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I can confidently blend into adjacent panels so will try colour matching just spraying a single panel.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Are gravity fed or suction fed spray guns better to use?

Looks like I will be buying this as long as its up to the task of the bumper and boot spraying (views?) :-k

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 53#1525353

Super_red

Post by Super_red »

I dont know about which gun is better. I have had and used both and they both sprayed the same. I think there is less wastage from a gravity fed gun and it will spray at more angles.

Yes I only use 5 coats as the laqure I use and the expereince I have tends to leave quite a mottled finish so with 5 coats I can sand it very flat before polishing it up.
Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

Gravity fed guns are easier cleaned out and easier on the wrist I use a cheap one for basecoat and it's good job and use a devilbiss for laquer.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”