Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aw11rally

Re: Project MRX350

Post by aw11rally »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Answers on a postcard, because at this moment i have no clue

Business is business.

£16k is a big lump of cash
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I know mate, but this isn't really business, it's my pride and joy.... i think i've almost talked myself out of selling, but i hope i don't regret that later on... it's a lot of money.
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Doubt there will be many people willing or able to offer that sort of money for a mk1 so if you don't take it now you might regret it when you do come to sell it.

I have just had the same dilemma with a car I owned, modified the hell out of and built to pretty much concours from a totally standard car, owned it for 12 years but got an offer I was unlikely to ever get again so decided to sell.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I know what you mean Lee.... i'm in a horrible position right now, the guy obviously wants the car really badly, problem is so do i, it's amazing to drive... i'm going to have to give this some careful thought.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Hi Paul,

difficult but I'd say sell and build again into a tintop. You live to build these. Maybe hang onto the front fogs and any other removable trick bits if you can, I know how much you like them.

Great offer but then it's a great car!

Ollie
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

An exceptional offer for an exceptional car.

Really difficult. What I would say though, is that these offers don't come along very often. I take a view with my AE86 that I want to keep it (as they are just, so rare in the condition that mine is in), but if I got the right offer, I admit I would feel tempted.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks Lauren, that is pretty much how i feel about it too, i know he has made me a fantastic offer, rarely do you ever get back what you put in to modified cars, in a way i'm still losing out because of the man hours it took to build, but man it's very tempting at that price.

I'm 60/40 in favour of keeping right now.... probably the wrong decision as i doubt i'll ever get that kind of offer again.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Keep it Paul!

You built it to drive it and enjoy it! You know it's in safe hands when you are behind the wheel. It'd break your heart if anything happened to it.

16k is a lot of money, but if you get the magazine feature you'll get even more interest in it in the future so you may get other offers further down the line.

If someone offered me £5k for mine right now, I'd not sell it, sounds silly, but all the effort, money and frustration that's gone into it - I just want to drive it and have fun.
munter

Post by munter »

Another vote to keep it.

You don't need the money. You have built something unique and special. You didn't build it as a business project, you built it for the challenge and driving the end product. To sell now? I think you'd regret it forever!

P
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

my 2p's worth
if I was in your position paul I would be asking myself two questions -
if you decide too keep it and then further down the line change your mind, what do you realistically think you could get for the car?
is the cars sentimental value worth up too 50% of the offer that has been placed on the table?
personally I think you would be insane not too take it but given the nature of your work, maybe you are? (insane) :lol: :mrgreen:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I'm going to copy my post from TB here, because after a long nights thought it pretty much sums up what i think.

Thankyou all for the advice, it has really helped me focus on what i really want, John the point you made about me hesitating about it meaning i don't want to sell is bang on, i really really don't, it's just such a large sum that would go a long way on other stuff, but i'd have a massive hole in my life.

I had the best weekend in years at JAE because i had something i could take pride in, it's was 10 years ago the last time i had a show worthy Mk1 of my own, after i sold that it has been nothing but customers projects and V8 Mk1, there's the thing, when i sold that it felt like losing an arm, but the only thing that kept me motivated was the current one.... dare i say it, but i think if i sold it i think i'd lose interest in the Mr2 scene because i could never better this car or have the will to build another, i mean what would be the point if i knew it couldn't be bettered and it was no longer unique?

Becky thinks i should sell, but she's looking at it from a Jimmy Choo perspective.

I might regret this from a money point of view because i think we all know i'm never going to get that sort of offer again, but i've found a new Mojo with the car, look forward to the next event and it's just plain hilarious to drive.

Phillis was actually there at the garage when the guy turned up, got out of his car, said whose Mk1 is that, and then spent 2 hours trying to pry it off me, i took him out to show him what it went like and when i stopped for petrol he took the pump off me and filled the tank with V-power and paid for it, the guy is a real gentleman and i've converted his Mk2 to 1mz several years ago, i'm also building a 2gr Mk2 for him, so he is more than serious, Phil was stood there shaking his head in disbelief..... all i could do was laugh at the figures being banded about.

He has texted me this morning asking when i might reach a decision, but after everyones advice i am going to keep it, even though it is the wrong financial decision..... i think ultimately i would lose out too much from an enjoyment point of view, and like you say if he loves it that much he will probably want it in the future when i might sell, but to be honest i can't see me parting with it if £16k doesn't do it now.

Thankyou all for your help.
emrrtwo

Post by emrrtwo »

glad you reached what I feel is the right decision :clap:

I know for some people the enjoyment is more about building / working on the car but from what you have said there is still more to come although everyone with MR2's knows that can be never ending! lol
For all the work that has went into it am sure you went regret it as the more you drive it and the more shows you attend seeing the appreciation for what a lot of people must be the ultimate mk1.
Also with starting from such a mint car in the first place which don't come up all that often it could be hard to start again from such a good base, How long did you own the car for before the conversion?
MartG

Post by MartG »

Good decision to keep it :thumleft:

If he wants it that badly quote him a price to build a replica ;)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I owned the car for a year before the work began, drove it for a full summer and knew it was a keeper, it was totally mint with over £6k worth of new Toyota parts on it, but i knew i had to make it extra special for me to be very happy with it long term.

I just wish this offer would come along in a few years time when i'm in a clearer position with it, but i know it won't.

Good point Mart, i'll ask him if he wantsa replica building, problem is i fear by the time labour is added on we will be way over £16k.
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Just to play devil's advocado I'd say take the money...

Would love a similar conversion but, for me, it would have to be semi-stealthy in the looks department.
MartG

Post by MartG »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Good point Mart, i'll ask him if he wantsa replica building, problem is i fear by the time labour is added on we will be way over £16k.

Figure out how much a replica would cost, then see if he's still interested at that price. If he is, great - you've got some business. If not then it's more information to inform a decision

( still reckon you should keep it, for a year or two at least )
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Good idea, i crunched the numbers today and to build an exact replica is around £10k in parts but a further £15k in garage hours.... i think £25k is insane for anyone to consider, even to get a car like this.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

So at £16k for what is, in effect, a new car he is clearly fobbing you off with a substandard offer.

Problem solved :mrgreen:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

LOL, a good way to look at it i suppose!

I'm definitely keeping it now, i may regret that in years to come but i never built it to sell, i built it to enjoy, plus i have more really cool things i want to do to it this winter, really Mk1 envelope pushing stuff to take her to the next level... can't really share those plans just yet but if i sold it i think i would always regret it.

Thanks for your input, flattered by the guys very generous offer but she's a keeper!
stenky

Post by stenky »

Still a cooler vintage evora for the fraction of price. Glad you are keeping it ;-)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”