[Mk2] [Turbo] Charge Cooler Alternative Radiator Location

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Super_red

[Mk2] [Turbo] Charge Cooler Alternative Radiator Location

Post by Super_red »

Basically as my TRD car has had the bodykit shmooved on I cant remove the front bumper to fit the charge cooler rad so what are my options? Is it worth tryig to fit the rad in the stock intercooler location? I know airflow will be no better but it must take longer for all the fluid in a chage cooler system to heat soak compared to an intercooler?

Cars just a road car and to be honest a decen SMIC would probably be enough but I've been collecting bits for this CC for years, I've polished the core and the missus brought the rad back in her suitcase from the states!
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Charge Cooler Alternative Radiator Location

Post by ashley »

Can you remove the bumper and wings in one section? Fitting the charge cooler rad in the stock i/c location would be a waste of a cc setup imo.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Nah the whole kit is one piece now. I was thinking more along the lines of maybe under the boot floor or in the boot or something. Dont want to have to modify the outside of the car but I could do a new bonnet without to much trouble, could it go in the frunk with ducting from under the car and out a bonnet vent? Would have to duct air in from the sides I guess so as not to get the warm air from the coolent rad.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

you should be able to fit the charge cooler rad just removing the plastic trim from above the radiator and removing the undertrays but it will be a lot more fiddly
bolton

Post by bolton »

I removed my pre-rad when i uninstalled my chargecooler without removing my bumper!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

raptor95GTS wrote:you should be able to fit the charge cooler rad just removing the plastic trim from above the radiator and removing the undertrays but it will be a lot more fiddly

This sounds promising. Does the coolant rad come out throught the top? I have seen the hole with the plastic cover removed but it looked like the rad was wider than the hole?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Super_red wrote:
raptor95GTS wrote:you should be able to fit the charge cooler rad just removing the plastic trim from above the radiator and removing the undertrays but it will be a lot more fiddly

This sounds promising. Does the coolant rad come out throught the top? I have seen the hole with the plastic cover removed but it looked like the rad was wider than the hole?

The coolant and the aircon condensor both come out through the top without needing the bumper to be removed. However if you still have your condensor then there's no chance you'll be slipping a pre-rad in through the top!
bolton

Post by bolton »

Yeah my aircon was removed previously!

Return to “Modifications”