Newbie with idling problem

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JamesDaniel80

Newbie with idling problem

Post by JamesDaniel80 »

Hi,

I know it's been discussed many times before but I've tried just about everything to stop my engine surging but without success.

I'm the proud owner of a MK1B which I've had for about four years, three of which have been spent in the garage.

I'm in the process of getting it back on the road but it's developed an annoying issue where it won't stop surging on idle.

The symptoms:

It starts fine and for about a minute or so, the idle speed is steady at the fast idle speed as the engine warms up.

Then the surging starts...It just goes up and down, up and down.

Eventually the fast idle will cut out and the revs will drop as you would expect, but even though the revs have dropped, it still surges.

What have I tried?:

I've bled the coolant and I know there is no air in there.

I've also changed the coolant temperature sensor and cold start sensor.

I've changed the MAP sensor.

I've checked for vacuum leaks and I'm pretty confident that there are none.

I've checked the TPS which is working fine.

I'm running out of ideas!!! Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance,

James
PW@Woodsport

Re: Newbie with idling problem

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Pretty simple really, your waxstat or AAV is not closing properly OR you have an airleak somewhere on the plenum/intake/throttle body.

Easy test.... remove the air intake pipe from the throttle body, locate the AAV bypass hole and place your finger over it with the engine running, it's 5p sized at 5 o'clock position inside the throttle.

If the engine stalls or revs drop right down when you do this then the waxstat is not closing properly.

The cure is either a new waxstat or manual choke conversion.
JamesDaniel80

Post by JamesDaniel80 »

Thank you very much. I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

How easy is it to do a manual choke conversion?
scomr2

Post by scomr2 »

Manual choke is pretty easy - worst bit is getting the wiring from the valve to a switch on the dashboard.

A mk2 a/c idle up valve works ok on mine.

Simon.
JamesDaniel80

Post by JamesDaniel80 »

Well I've tried about everything else...and getting a new waxstat valve looks pretty difficult (and a second hand one looks like a bit of a minefield) so I've ordered the kit.

Thanks for the advice!

James
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou for the order James, i wasn't angling for a sale, just handing out advice to a well known issue, although if the AAV is sticking the manual choke will fix the problem.

You will get it by Thursday at the latest, thanks Paul.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

scomr2 wrote:Manual choke is pretty easy - worst bit is getting the wiring from the valve to a switch on the dashboard.

A mk2 a/c idle up valve works ok on mine.

Simon.

Wiring isn't too bad, there's a free 12v source in the footwell fuse box which will take a spade connector. Stick an inline fuse on it then up to the dash switch (get an iluminated one). Then a single wire to the solenoid and then to ground on the rear firewall. :thumleft:

Is that what you have in the destructions Paul?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

No my kit is permanently live with a switched ground, same thing though, it would work either way.

There is a guide written by me that Jimi posted on the OC showing how to make your own manual choke.
jimi

Post by jimi »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Pretty simple really, your waxstat or AAV is not closing properly OR you have an airleak somewhere on the plenum/intake/throttle body.

Easy test.... remove the air intake pipe from the throttle body, locate the AAV bypass hole and place your finger over it with the engine running, it's 5p sized at 5 o'clock position inside the throttle.

If the engine stalls or revs drop right down when you do this then the waxstat is not closing properly.

The cure is either a new waxstat or manual choke conversion.

:lol: same answer I posted to the same question on the OC

scomr2 wrote:Manual choke is pretty easy - worst bit is getting the wiring from the valve to a switch on the dashboard.

That's easy :wink: you have unused cruise control wiring that runs from the boot (LHS behind the trim) to the dashboard almost exactly where the coinholder is :D
Details of the wiring here http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/V ... iring.html

Paul's article on the manual choke is here:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=54

and the instructions to build your own

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=55

and an article of mine with a timer controlled version of Paul's choke

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=56
JamesDaniel80

Post by JamesDaniel80 »

Thank you very much for your advice, everyone.

Having done the test of the waxstat and AAV as recommended by Jimi, it turns out it is that which is causing my problem!

You've saved me hours of messing about with hoses and wires.

Hopefully once the manual choke conversion is installed, it'll be plain sailing!

Thanks again!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”