respray-but what colour??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steve07

respray-but what colour??

Post by steve07 »

Hi Guys,

Im looking to have my mr2 sprayed next year, but really can't decide on a colour, its currently black and i dont no if i should get a respray in black or go for another colour??
If anyones got any pics i could look at that could come in helpfull.

Thanks
Steve
Gullzter

Re: respray-but what colour??

Post by Gullzter »

Keep it black, the best colour :mrgreen:
Rory

Post by Rory »

Black is nice! If I was going black though I think I would go for a nicer black. Paint technology has moved along massively since Toyota sprayed the first astral black 202.
craig

Post by craig »

Rory wrote:Black is nice! If I was going black though I think I would go for a nicer black. Paint technology has moved along massively since Toyota sprayed the first astral black 202.

Agreed. A nice modern metallic black would look pretty good. I'm looking at Ford Panther Black metallic .

202 is a bit ancient, and isn't metallic. Not disputing that it doesn't look good polished up, but a modern paint would be better in my opinion.

I would probably stay away from painting a different colour unless you're going engine out and removing everything out the frunk for a full colour change.

Just my 2p :)
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Orange. Definitely a vibrant orange, or at least the OEM Mica Orange.
Different, rare and eye-catching :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Saw this on Facebook

Stunning colour!!!!
Rory

Post by Rory »

I'm not sure about oranges and lime greens etc. If youre just doing it for yourself then go for it. If you think you may want to sell it then think about what other people may like. Oragnes/browns/greens/yellow etc are known to reduce the appeal unless your driving a lambo
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Rory wrote:I'm not sure about oranges and lime greens etc. If youre just doing it for yourself then go for it. If you think you may want to sell it then think about what other people may like. Oragnes/browns/greens/yellow etc are known to reduce the appeal unless your driving a lambo

I think your right in respect of vibrant colours. It depends how long you want to keep the car for, resale prices, etc...

Toyota Mica orange however is a toned down more respectable colour which is highly sought after and quite rare. I've only ever seen one for sale on here.

Rory

Post by Rory »

Either way youre going to be down on money. A decent colour change is going to cost several thousand pounds. Youll never get that back if you decide to sell the car regardless of colour.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RedMR² wrote:

I would probably stay away from painting a different colour unless you're going engine out and removing everything out the frunk for a full colour change.

Just my 2p :)

considering its originally black, probably the most ideal colour to not have to paint the frunk/bay
steve07

colour

Post by steve07 »

Cheers for the opionings people, to answer 1 question ill never be selling this car as its got alot of history, so i could go any colour, i have thought of lime green and also orange to, my cars got a bomex front bumper, toms skirts and border spats so keep the ideas and pics coming as i really need to make a decision soon.

Thanks all
steve07

colour

Post by steve07 »

Also looked at blues and purples??
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

This is what Mica Orange looks like on an MR2...

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ge&start=0

And this is the only one that I have seen for sale in this colour. Not quite as vibrant as I would probably personally go for, but is by far the best OEM colour in my opinion. Very rare and brings out the MR2s lines.

I love my blue but its.... Welll... Lets not kid ourselves blue is a bit boring isn't it :lol: hides dirt brilliantly though :mrgreen:

steve07

colour

Post by steve07 »

im not keen on that mica colour, maybe if i saw it in person id change my mind, i wanted something that would stand out, eye catcher but not something people thinks its to much, if that makes sense,
i was thinking of a blue with white pearl parts aswell, but not sure if ive changed my mind. grrr :evil:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

If your interested in blues....

Most people have Caribbean blue

I have Toyota Cobalt Blue (paint code 8H3). I haven't seen another in this colour and I believe it is a Rev1 only paint. Here is mine:

Of course if you don't want to stick to just MR2 colours then you have millions of choices.... :-k

steve07

colours

Post by steve07 »

that blue is a little too dark, yh im not just sticking to mr2 colours i can go any colour lol, ideas????????????????????????? :D
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Personally I always thought red ones were faster?? :twisted:
cosmos

Colour change

Post by cosmos »

Lotus used to have matt black inside the boot and engine bay with any external colour, perhaps that way they could build cars in advance then apply customers colour choice when its known.
As you already have black i would look to a modern black to keep it easy and less costly and simply let some classy wheels highlight the package imho.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Yeah plenty of car manufacturers don't colour the engine bays now. My fiesta (2008) has a matt primer blackish colour. My old evo was the same. Although some cars just look plain wrong when the have engine bays that are clearly wrong. An mr2 with a red engine bay and blue external looks crap.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

My white TRD car is a 202 black car and you just dont notice that the frunk and engine bay are black. It might be different for red and other colour cars but with black you can go any colour I would say.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”