What subs you got? homemade or any active subs that fit ?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mrfil13

Re: What subs you got? homemade or any active subs that fit ?

Post by mrfil13 »

The active subs are ok but for the money they aren't great, if you can find something on ebay for £60 or so then fine, i had an alpine one, just didn't sound right. My sub, amp, box came to about £240, much better sound than an under seat active sub and they fit behind the seat with plenty of room.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Im going to order a pair of the 6.5" alpine speakers that come with a pair of tweeters (component pack) and just disconnect and bin all old speakers. Tweeters below rear quarter window, and the 6.5ers in doors.
That should be a much better set up than what ive got now considering the 6.5ers concentrate on low frequency (bass)
Only reason i put a sub in is the standard speakers have no kick but i knew cockpit was a bit too small.
I like the seperation of the pitches/frequencies whereas alot of people go for bass and not care about the rest which is why ill be changing it to find a balance.
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

I've got a homemade box which came fitted in the car when we bought it (I use the term 'fitted' loosely as it's hardly even assembled unless you consider two self tappers holding the box section to the base ). Originally there was a JBL GTO 10" in there which I wired up but it never sounded right, almost like kicking an empty cardboard box. Bought a Pioneer 10" off eBay to replace it and it's much more consistent, but still being let down largely by the box.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

madbasshunter wrote:

This very one has lived in my current and previous mr2!

Still going well

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

T.F.S. wrote:The subs get full xmax no problem at all in the behind seat position

These are not the best pics but show how large the boxes are compared to the other poorly designed ones you see knocking about, I think these were circa £200 each for the boxes alone when I bought them.

the problem with these ones is that you can't get the seat all the way back, not a problem if you're short of course, I had to take mine out and make custom ones.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

I'm 5'11 and 14 stone....Not exactly small/short.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

T.F.S. wrote:I'm 5'11 and 14 stone....Not exactly small/short.

i'm 6,2, it's not so much how far the seat was back i had aproblem with, it was more the angle. great sub boxes though.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

T.F.S. wrote:I'm 5'11 and 14 stone....Not exactly small/short.

i'm 6,2, it's not so much how far the seat was back i had aproblem with, it was more the angle. great sub boxes though.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Here is another one I dont recomend then, my first 10 inch sub box. If you want an example of not being able to put the seat all the way back this is it! At the time the car (rev1 N/A) was my wifes daily driver and I never drove it so I put the seat where she has it at 5 foot 3 and used every available bit of space to build the box. I then fitted the amp to the side and wired it so I could unplug it should I need to drive it. So in short it made the car only suitable for her and it was only held in by the seat pressing on it but it sounded great, the best I have heard in an MR2 and one of the best I've ever heard.

I never got round to carpeting it or fitting a handle, I was going to carpet all sides so the speaker was hidden, that is why the speaker is recessed into the box and the mesh is fitted. It spent about 2 years in the 2 before going into our MGZS which became her daily once we had kids. We now have an old Audi S4 with a Bose system factory installed which is fine for a daily driver, 6.5 inch active sub. This lives in the garage now waiting for a new home, just dug it out to photo.

EDIT:- After building this I bought 2 8 inch subs as I reckon you could do a similar side facing setup with 8's and get much better mid range and still good bass with a pair in stereo, never got round to it though but I can attest that side facing is much better than pointing straight at the seat back for mid range fill.
Nic

Post by Nic »

4 x 7" Rockford Fosgate subs mounted on MDF board behind the seats.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Nic wrote:4 x 7" Rockford Fosgate subs mounted on MDF board behind the seats.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote [url]http://url839.imageshack.us/url839/7046/dscf0272j.jpg[/URL]

i had a setup similar to this a few years ago but i found it was more of a horrible mid range sound, i'd love to do this again if i could get decent sounding 7" subs, how do these ones sound?
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

anyone know of any guides on where to fit the amp and also how to get all the wiring from the battery to the headunit.. ive fitted a couple of subs in the past every nothing with this amount of small space.. be cool if anyone knows of a guide to work with.. Cheers
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

theres a few big grommets to thread all the wires through

ceejay

Post by ceejay »

jimGTS wrote:theres a few big grommets to thread all the wires through

thats the sort of place i was thinking on putting the amp! is it still easy to access the space wheels?

im guessing its pretty much waterproof in there :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ceejay wrote:anyone know of any guides on where to fit the amp and also how to get all the wiring from the battery to the headunit.. ive fitted a couple of subs in the past every nothing with this amount of small space.. be cool if anyone knows of a guide to work with.. Cheers

your best bet is just to start ripping in about it mate, all depends on the size of your amp etc, i managed to get an amp under one of the seats.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ceejay wrote:

is it still easy to access the space wheels?

in short, not really, lol.

i havent had to disconnect battery or anything yet, but not looking forward to seeing how im going to get to it :mrgreen:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Here is a pretty good guide http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... G4&cad=rja
But the amps are better in the boot I think
I have had them in the frunk
ImageImage
With a cover
and with no spare
If your car hasn't got air con there is a big hole you can use on the passenger side of the frunk bulkhead.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

MADBASSHUNTER

Thanks so much dude! thats a great little guide!!
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Old box, JL 8 inch sub

New one is a bit taller with a JL 13inch shallow sub but I don't have pics yet.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Who is and isnt keeping the rear speakers with their subs setup? I have always disconnected them favouring a doors only plus sub setup. The door speakers are 6.5 inch rather than 4 inch for the ones in the rear quaters and I find they are too close to your head. Tweaters in the doors aswell with the crossover always on its lowest tweater level (-3db or -6db on most of the ones I have had).

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”