[Mk2] [Turbo] Poly Bushing - is it worth it?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marmalade

[Mk2] [Turbo] Poly Bushing - is it worth it?

Post by Marmalade »

Hi,

Just looking for some feedback on poly bushing, looking to build a trackcar over time and want to add decent coilovers, but read conflicting views on whether ploy bushing is worth it?

Any feedback appreciated.
KarlBristol

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Poly Bushing - is it worth it?

Post by KarlBristol »

Definitely worth it :thumleft:

Really sharpens up your sloppy, clunky old bushes. Makes the car feel a lot tighter and more planted during handling. You'd be surprised how worn and rubbish your old bushes will feel in comparison. The rubber in the bushes has usually perished quite badly over the 20 odd years of usage.

If you intend to track your car it's definitely worth it and probably quite near the top of the 'want list'.

One of the best modifications I've done to my car. 11/10 from me :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Hands down best thing you can do
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

theres a thought that getting new standard bushes will also have the same feel as tightening up the handling - as they are new.

But im sure they are a lot more to buy and wont be quite as good, also not as easy to fit as polybushes are
Donato

Post by Donato »

What bushes would you all recommend on using?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i had the ones Peter at S-Bits sold
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Another recommendation for polybushing, tighter, more direct and connected and a better ride as well. I went for Prothane (from Rogue believe) and think they're brilliant but can't compare them to anything else.
Make sure you get the right set for your rev and the right size for whatever ARBs you have.

R.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Anyone know a ballpark figure to buy and fit?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

KIts wil be anywhere from about £85- £110 dependant on which revision and which manufacturer. As for fitting it can be a long job... at a guess anywhere from 3-6 hours for a decent grease monkey.
Don't forget you'll want your geometry doing again afterwards so if theres anything else you want to change/refresh in the suspension do it at the same time.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

jasongtr wrote:theres a thought that getting new standard bushes will also have the same feel as tightening up the handling - as they are new.

But im sure they are a lot more to buy and wont be quite as good, also not as easy to fit as polybushes are

Toyota don't sell just their OEM bushes I looked into it when I was buying the parts for mine...

The bushes are sold by Toyota joined to their appropriate parts. For example to buy the anti-roll bar bushes you would have to buy a whole new anti-roll bar, etc.. Costs obviously spiral when you consider how many parts the polybushes are fitted to.

I priced it all up at the time and it came to the thousands.
Polybushed give a stiffer feel and are far more reasonably priced :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

Thanks for all the replies, I suspect 20 year old bushes will not be their best, but the car goes into the garage at the end of the month for a full service and inspection etc etc, so will get an assessment and go from there.

Trackday at Brands on the 29th October, so want the car ready for then
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

KarlBristol wrote:Toyota don't sell just their OEM bushes I looked into it when I was buying the parts for mine...

The bushes are sold by Toyota joined to their appropriate parts. For example to buy the anti-roll bar bushes you would have to buy a whole new anti-roll bar, etc..

You're right, but your anti-roll bar example isn't a good one. Toyota definitely do sell ARB bushes on their own :)

I think my (previous) MR2 was 8 years old when I fitted poly bushes and were a very noticeable improvement.

I don't think it's the fact they're poly urethane, just that they're new and replacing very old bushes. But as Karl said, some bushes aren't available on their own.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

I would guess there is nothing in it but have to just ask. Is there a soft version and hard version of these aftermarket bushes? Is one manufacturers softer than anothers. If someone can answer this hopefully it won't make me sound quite so anal :D
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

I would guess there is nothing in it but have to just ask. Is there a soft version and hard version of these aftermarket bushes? Is one manufacturers softer than anothers. If someone can answer this hopefully it won't make me sound quite so anal :D
Donato

Post by Donato »

blogsy wrote:I would guess there is nothing in it but have to just ask. Is there a soft version and hard version of these aftermarket bushes? Is one manufacturers softer than anothers. If someone can answer this hopefully it won't make me sound quite so anal :D

You can get 'road' bushes and 'track bushes which will be stiffer. I'm not 100% if they apply to MR2 bushes though.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I personally haven't seen different 'firmnesses' for the mk2 but if in doubt give Patrick at Rogue a call. They've raced all marks and revs of the MR2 for decades so will likely know of available options. I bought my Prothane kit for my rev 1 from them and don't recall options being available...
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

We do Powerflex purple road bushes and black special edition black bushes.
Torero

Post by Torero »

jasongtr wrote:i had the ones Peter at S-Bits sold

Same here and they made a noticeable difference to firmness and responsiveness. Again, mine replaced 15 year old rubber ones so it should have made a difference regardless but I have peace of mind that poly bushes are beter and don't deteriorate after 5 years like rubber.

They also don't get progressively harder as rubber ones will when they are getting old.

Contact Peter, his were cheaper than eBay and seem to have had several good reviews from oher users.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Has anyone else found that there polybushed car squeaks like a rusty old bed?

The bushes were all greased up when they were installed - is it easy to re-grease them or does everything have to come apart again?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Sorry fella cant help you. Mine have been silent since fitting but I'd guess you'd need to get em apart to re-grease them.

Return to “Modifications”