What subs you got? homemade or any active subs that fit ?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ceejay

What subs you got? homemade or any active subs that fit ?

Post by ceejay »

what type of subs have you guy been able to fit behind the seats? or do you have to buy the mr2 sub box on ebay? (the box at a angle) cant explain it very well ?
CalMac

Re: What subs you got? homemade or any active subs that fit ?

Post by CalMac »

Most people seem to use the ebay boxes, but if you could get a custom job like this I think it looks absolutely brilliant!

http://www.mr2.com/forums/attachments/m ... ystem3.jpg

If you want something different how about these?

http://www.emspowered.com/storefront/in ... cts_id=763
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

The ones by Neil_turbo are brilliant. Ive had one in both mr2s ive had. Currently with a focal sub and jl audio amp at 2 ohms. Great fit and excellent build quality and price hard to beat. They are in the for sale forum here.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

This I dont suggest, although it appears nice to have a 1000watt 12 inch sub in the car it actuall sounds rubbish. I am going to keep it as it was in the car when I bought it but would not do it to another car.

T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

I have a pair for sale in the for sale area here, way better than the ones they sell on here or on ebay, totally different league.

They have subs with them and I can also supply an amp to run them if need be.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Does a car with a cockpit this small need a sub? wouldnt a decent amp and some nice component speakers give enough bass?

Ive found that the bass drowns out all the mids and highs and frankly sounds terrible.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Depends what your taste in music is, I had over 1kw RMS and it wasn't enough but then I also have another car with 10kw RMS and that isn't enough either.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

Depends how its set up. I have a 10" jbl sub in mind but I've set it so it fills the low end but doesn't detract from the kids/ treble.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

My first MR2 had a 10 inch pheonix gold sub in a sealed box and head unit powered 6.5 inch components. With the bass set to its lowest on the HU and the sub amp set to about 100hz with no additional boost on the bass it sounded great. Very loud and could play rock music just as well as any other type. The key is getting it set up which is something I cant seam to get with the stupid sub thats in the car I have now, its doing nothing until the bass drops then its overbearing.

Thinking of adding an active crossover and a pair of 6.5 or 8 inch subs then set the 12 inch to just the mega low frequencies.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Sounds like you want to do the reverse to me, increase the low pass filter to closer to 200hz if the sub is doing nothing and then overpowering the front stage when it gets a signal.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

What subs do I have in my car?

I've got a Turkey Breast and Ham and an Italian BMT :-)

Hope this helps :-P
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

I've heard JBL do half decent subs but if not I'm not sure how well it would fit but grab a Vibe CBR10 Active Evo they're pretty good :-)
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

T.F.S. wrote:Sounds like you want to do the reverse to me, increase the low pass filter to closer to 200hz if the sub is doing nothing and then overpowering the front stage when it gets a signal.

Then its just overbearing all the time. I will give it a try again but it only really sounds good at low frequencies, when I turn the frequency up it sounds muffled even at really low volumes but then it is right next to my ear so not really where it is designed to be used. If I adjust it so its not muffled at low volumes i.e. off then its doing nothing at higher volumes, infact I can go into my HU and turn the sub output off and it makes almost no difference.

8 or 10's behind the seat is the way to go.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

A sub really does help but you dont need anything powerful. My sub/amp is only 250 watt rms at 2 ohms and its great.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

We need pictures people not words ! :D I've had a MR2 since 06 and always wanted to have a sub especially in the turbo. However what puts me off is the sub not allowing full movement in the seats. Plus it's not as discrete as I would like.

Has anyone used the cubbyholes as subs? Now there's a setup I want to see
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

The subs get full xmax no problem at all in the behind seat position

These are not the best pics but show how large the boxes are compared to the other poorly designed ones you see knocking about, I think these were circa £200 each for the boxes alone when I bought them.

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

l1ca wrote:Does a car with a cockpit this small need a sub? wouldnt a decent amp and some nice component speakers give enough bass?

Ive found that the bass drowns out all the mids and highs and frankly sounds terrible.

IMO no you dont need a sub, ive got a brilliant 12" alpine sub i just installed last month and made my own angled box out of 18mm mdf and its too reverbed..
As soon as i get decent speakers or components im going to test them alone and my instinct is it will sound better but we all know the saying "each to their own"

To the Op: ill post some pics of my home made one as soon as i get a few
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

What was the capacity of the box vs the minimum requirements of the subwoofer you used?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Here is my latest box
ImageImage
Port fires over passenger seat
here are some of my older ones I started with two 10's
Then a 15 and a 12 (cant find the pic) Tryed an 8
fibreglass 10
and another
Then an auto acoustics (reinforced with more fibreglass)
A sealed mdf box for the L5 (cant find pic)
one of Neils with a 12" JBL
and a Pyle in the stock box
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

wow loads of replies and great ideas to look into with all the picture you have put it.. Thanks GUYS!

i may just go for a active under seat sort of sub but have it strapped in behind the passengers seat.. my friend has one in his civic under his seat only a 150watts RMS but it does the job.. as some have said that its not a great amount of space anyways so you wont need a mass super bass set up..
something like this
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -27226.htm

i just want something with a small punch as atm the sound system in mine is pretty weak regarding bass levels :L

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”