BMIC (Boot Mount Intercooler)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

laze

Re: BMIC (Boot Mount Intercooler)

Post by laze »

ashley wrote:
laze wrote: It would be much more cost effective to opt for water/methanol injection.

Except water/meth injection doesn't do the same thing as an ic

Here comes a can o' worms....

The outcome is the same, a reduction in intake temps.

dawesy wrote:plus water/meth runs out where as an intercooler, no matter how inefficient, doesnt.
using meth only on a track car is fine but never on a road car that does any sort of milage.

It's really not a big job refilling my 5 litre water/methanol tank once or twice a year and ensures sub-35 degree intake temps all year round.
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Then again you could fit both,
bmic and meth injection.

boot air intake via twin riser tubes in the rear lower bumper
if theres not enough air flow then they can be enlarged ,
as this is still work in progress.

ok the intercooler piping is twice as long,but the Apexi rx6 turbo will more than make up the difference,hopefully.
laze

Post by laze »

OK, where are you based? I want to be your friend! :oldtongue:
planted1

Post by planted1 »

[-X :D
laze

Post by laze »

:( hehe
ashley

Post by ashley »

planted1 wrote:boot air intake via twin riser tubes in the rear lower bumper
if theres not enough air flow then they can be enlarged ,
as this is still work in progress.

Nice install :thumleft:

You're going to want more airflow than that I reckon (or have you cut the boot floor out? diificult to see in that picture)- compare this to the airflow a front mounted IC has through it, you're relying purely on twin fans for airflow so the larger the hole in the floor the better...maybe consider some under body scoops to help throw more air up and into the IC?
planted1

Post by planted1 »

hi,thx :thumleft:

The boot floor is cut out,same size as the cooler,
you can just make out the ic in the photo you showed.
The risers allow air in ,the fans push air through the intercooler and down through the floor.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Ah ok- makes more sense :thumleft:
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Anymore pics of the riser tubes ?
Chris

Post by Chris »

The only way to do this right imo is the way me and Nathan did it.

Rear facing inlet manifold so no more pipework than any front mount, large scoop under the car to push air into the ic, twin 12" fans on the top to pull more air through the ic. And outlets in the rear to allow the air out of the boot.

Tried and tested :thumleft:

However, if you are planning no more than 500bhp I wouldn't bother. Sidemount IC or CC with WI is plenty good enough.
Chris

Post by Chris »

The only way to do this right imo is the way me and Nathan did it.

Rear facing inlet manifold so no more pipework than any front mount, large scoop under the car to push air into the ic, twin 12" fans on the top to pull more air through the ic. And outlets in the rear to allow the air out of the boot.

However, if you are planning no more than 500bhp I wouldn't bother. Sidemount IC or CC with WI is plenty good enough.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I've got the perfect rear facing inlet manifold for sale as well if anyone's interested (rev3+) :thumleft:
bolton

Post by bolton »

Chris wrote:The only way to do this right imo is the way me and Nathan did it.

I have nathans old setup! :evil:
planted1

Post by planted1 »

I have a larger inlet mani with q45 throttle body ready to go in at a later date,but thx anyway :thumleft:
The plenum will be reverse mounted when my buddy gets round to welding it.

The only reason i didnt use a scoop was i didnt want to pull air up over a hot exhaust into the intercooler,but im sure either way has its good and bad points.
greeny

Post by greeny »

laze wrote:Increased lag as you're running longer piping.

The length of piping for a boot mount is going to be roughly the same, if not shorter than most front mount intercooler setups if done correctly.

Besides, an increased volume of air in the inlet tract can sometimes be beneficial....
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Chris wrote:The only way to do this right imo is the way me and Nathan did it.

Sorry , dont agree! the airflow under the car is not as great as whats around the sides of the car due to the under trays. Also any heat being scooped up from under will be warm and likely full of c*ap.

I thought a lot about the physics of my BMIC and i honestly think i have the best design. Simple as it may seem, Seal off the boot as well as possible, remove the side intake rubber ducting, plate off the engine bay openings for the side vents, Cut boot floor under BMIC and fit two shrouded puller fans.

With this method , at standstill if i put my hand over the side intakes i could feel the fans sucking the air in! which means that at speed, the boot will be pressurizing with Cold air taken from the sides of the car and pushing it out through the IC.

Chris

Post by Chris »

At standstill the heat soak from them exhaust cans will be much more than the cold air being pulled through an under scoop.

Looks nice though.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Nope! there is no heat soak issues. There is two spal fans under the IC sucking the air through and it remains cool.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

What sort of temps, assuming 20+deg ambient and a fairly hard sustained flogging. Also what boost etc?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

On my old hybrid ct20b , locked inside surrey rolling road (an ex gun firing range) so ambient temps was likely above 20c , it was peaking at about 32'c @1.5 bar and made 418 bhp. (this is from what i can remember as it was a couple of years ago now)

however, then i fitted the side feed plenum which required cutting a hole in the boot firewall and this has messed up the dynamics of the BMIC and now with the HTA3582r at 1.9 bar i am getting some cooking IAT's . However, Ryan.G , myself and every other tuner / enthuisast there on the day all agree the fault is my poor choice in IC as its a cheap cheap ebay jobbie with very small end tanks. the end tanks are so small and tapered that its likely making its effective cooling area about half that of the actual core size. we still hit 570 fwhp / 480 lbft tho!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”