fitting rear wheel spacers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

l1ca

fitting rear wheel spacers

Post by l1ca »

Got all the tools I need now to get my 20mm rear wheel spacers on, however I'm lacking the knowledge to do so.

Anyone got a guide? Can't wait to get these on and sort the poor girls ar$e out :lol:
ashley

Re: fitting rear wheel spacers

Post by ashley »

I've never tried, but do you not just take the wheel off, put the spacer on the hub, put the wheel on top and then bolt it all up?

EDIT: are you putting extended studs in?
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

ashley wrote:I've never tried, but do you not just take the wheel off, put the spacer on the hub, put the wheel on top and then bolt it all up?

Yes

If you fitting that width I presume your putting hubcentrics on, fit them on, use the spacer bolts to tighten onto hub, then put wheel on and tighten onto the spacer lugs
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

the reason i put up this post was because I saw this 'How to' http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... kbartid=16

This guide talks about removal of caliper, removing old wheel studs and bolts and I was just like wtf, surely its easier than this.

I came across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNZhLb_wWhk
Seems far more intuitive and a damn site easier, seeing it as a video really does help, ill try and get these on tonight.

Also a useful vid from Driftworks about the various wheel spacers options could help someone, it sure helped me understand more - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uagmGqeomng

Thanks to all for the replies, it really does seem as easy to do as the comments above.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Quick advice needed.

Rear making point inaccessible because so bloody low! Anywhere else I can safely jack?
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Ok, well, tried to jack up the car, had problems, no matter how much I lifted it, the rear wheels wouldnt leave the floor, I tried a combination of a mid mounted trolley jack lifting the sideskirt to a point where I could fit a normal 'winder' jack under the rear mounting point and still, no matter what I did she wouldnt lift.... any ideas?

Ive a feeling im going to have to remove the side skirt to allow me decent clearance to fit the trolley jack under the rear mounting point to lift the rear wheel off the floor enough to get the thing off.

Unless someone can tell me if there is a point under the car, from the rear where I can basically lift the whole of the back end up enough?

However thats not my biggest cause for concern, whilst I was lying in the dirt anyway I thought id have a proper nosey under the car, now whilst the actual main body seems clear enough, the sides (sills I think) have this:

Now is it as bad as I think it is? Have I caught it before it has done any major structural damage. I will be looking into repairing this and getting the entire of the under of the car coated. but come on guys, how bad is it?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

jack it on the subframe
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

I got 20mm on mine and had to cut the studs down due to sitting proud of the spacer and not allowing the wheel to sit flush.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

due to sitting proud of the spacer

What do you mean by that mate?
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

He's just saying that because the studs were longer than 20mm they poked through the face of the spacer and didn't allow the wheel to fit.

Do you have slip-on spacers? Use extended wheel studs (55-60mm at a guess) such as Dorman 610-463 or ARP 100-7718. To fit these you will have to remove calipers etc. and bang out the old studs with a hammer then pull new ones through with impact wrench. The studs aren't cheap but I'd say this is the safer of the two spacer options.

Or..

Bolt-on hubcentric spacers? Use the nuts provided to fit the spacer to the existing studs (which must not protrude from the face of the spacer, they may require cutting down in length) and then bolt the wheel onto the studs which are built into the spacer.

It is important that the spacers you end up using are hubcentric, either way! This means that they have the centre ring of 60.1mm which the wheel sits on, to prevent shearing of studs etc. by placing force directly on them. You can use spigot rings with your wheels to make sure that they have the same centre bore diameter :thumleft:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Well, interesting morning, got the car on a ramp, got the wheels off, got the spacers fitted and ..... dammit, it seems the standard hub bolts are a touch too long and need half a cm or so taken off so the wheel sits flush on the spacer.

Not the most ideal update, but one step closer, yak shaving, look it up.
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Are you using hubcentrics or slip on as above?
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

It had 5mm slip ons, theses have come off and ill be replacing them with 20mm hubcentric spacers

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”