Volk TE37s

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nic

Re: Volk TE37s

Post by Nic »

Kongaroo wrote:I have buckled a genuine TE37 rolling over some unexpected rocky debris on the motorway before, so they are strong but that won't always save you :eye:

A forged wheel like the TE37 will bend/buckle if hit hard enough, I suspect if you'd hit the same debris with a similar cast wheel it would have cracked or been completely broken. A blow out from a buckle is bad enough, having a wheel completely fail is not something that's going to end well! :shock:
Last edited by Nic on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Yes that's a fair point - I certainly don't plan on doing any trial testing for Inovit with my car :lol:

Don't get me wrong - I have 2 sets of TE37s for a reason - only the best for the MR2 :oldtongue:

Just wanted to point out that just because they are cheap copies from China doesn't necessarily mean the product is always going to be bad.
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

forged wheels crack they don't bend/buckle......cast wheels bend/buckle.

so all those arguments about owning te37s because they won't end up snapping...well its bull$h1t. Proof of this - i own forged wheels which have cracked and one of my mates smashed a pothole with a forged wheel and the wheel split in half. Desmond Regamaster Evo's if you've heard.

i still prefer genuine forged jdm wheels - but they are designed for track/smooth jap roads.
ashley

Post by ashley »

vishpish wrote:forged wheels crack they don't bend/buckle......

Try telling that to the two bent and buckled Te37's in my garage :whistle:
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

Sorry:

forged wheels crack they don't just bend/buckle......cast wheels bend/buckle

My Regas were repairedd back in the summer and one had a very minor buckle. The point I was trying to make (after several beers!) was that just because you're buying forged wheels, doesn't mean they aren't going to crack and break if you smack a big pothole.

The chap who repaired my Regas said that they were specifically designed for track use. Although they are strong, the reason they are light is they use less material and are hence thinner - hence why they cracked.
ashley

Post by ashley »

:thumleft:
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

So are Rota wheels any good, I can get a set for £650 new, where as Volks are well over £1k?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

vishpish wrote:
The chap who repaired my Regas said that they were specifically designed for track use. Although they are strong, the reason they are light is they use less material and are hence thinner - hence why they cracked.

They are FORGED though so they are DENSER. That means they CAN be thinner....that's kind of the point.

Marmalade wrote:So are Rota wheels any good, I can get a set for £650 new, where as Volks are well over £1k?

Rotas will be fine for 99% of people 99% of the time!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”