3S-GE BEAMS swap

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Red Wedge

3S-GE BEAMS swap

Post by Red Wedge »

Saw the BEAMS engine mentioned by a mk1.5 owner on Reddit and got curious so did some research. Turns out they're quite good.

Has anyone ever put one in a mk1? I imagine it's not very straight forward but can it be done?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: 3S-GE BEAMS swap

Post by Charged »

Yes it can be done, can't see it being more difficult that a 1.5 swap, same mounts. Wiring may be slightly trickier. I'm sure Paul Woods will be along to explain more shortly.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

Cool. I imagine that they could be mated to a mk2 gearbox as they are usually in front engined cars.
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

its standard in late mr2 mk2's also, so yes it mates to its own box
Last edited by gavinda on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

or a 3sgte turbo box
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

The 5th gen 3S-GE units had titanium valves. Toyota are mad bastards really, I can't imagine how expensive a new valve set is.

They also came with dual VVT-i and made 207 hp, bet that's a laugh in a mk1.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

but surely for the cost of it would be cheaper with a more powerfull 3sgte or v6 in there..

woudl still be good though, just be sure to weigh up the costs and outcome..
207 isnt far from a 4age with a big pulley and few tuning bits (187hpish?) for a lot less hassle too
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

This ^

If the 3s-gte had never been invented then the Beams into Mk1 would have made a great swap, however it takes roughly the same amount of work and fabrication to do either swap, so i guess the question you have to ask is why would you install a less powerful engine for the same amount of work/money?

The 3s-gte kicks its ass in all departments so it kind of becomes a poor second choice, although it would be stonking it will never be as good as the Gte or V6 options.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's also important to remember torque instead of BHP, the 4a is gutless in the torque dept. The 3s-ge engines share the same behaviour, nothing low down until 4k rpm, just like the 4a you need to rev the nuts off it to get anything back.... the 3s-gte and and V6 options are the complete opposite.

So even a well tuned 200bhp 4a-ge is not going to have anywhere near the torque or widespread delivery of the better engine options.

I have yet to experience full throttle on my 2gr Mk1, it propels my Mk1 at scary speeds from very early in the rev range with zero effort, a real torque monster.

Having said that i'd like to do a Beams Mk1 just for the crack.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Having said that i'd like to do a Beams Mk1 just for the crack.

Didn't Lodgeman start one Paul? Going waaaay back though..
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

Thanks Paul, helpful as always!

Did they do a turbo variant of the 5th gen 3S-GE with the titanium valves?

I like the idea of a high revving NA engine in the mk1 but you're right about it being gutless.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

If ya want a high revin mk1
Bung In a black top 20v 4age engine
The rev Hugh and run good power

By from experience in bens tureno they are pretty gutless
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ps I really want to build a 2 gr when I can afford it
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

Red Wedge wrote:The 5th gen 3S-GE units had titanium valves. Toyota are mad bastards really, I can't imagine how expensive a new valve set is.

They also came with dual VVT-i and made 207 hp, bet that's a laugh in a mk1.

207 hp one is for an altezza so is facing the wrong way and is practically useless for an mr2.

Red top is 190 usually on a dyno from what I've seen so a standard rev3 3sge with cams would go as well up top. Apparently the beams is a torquey unit tho.

I had a red top beams sitting in my garage with loom/ecu ready for transplant into a mk2 track car but the loom was huge compared to a 3sge or 3sgte engine. So really not much point. Nice looking thing tho.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes Ollie i think Lodge had looked into it at one point, i actually get a few emails per year from people wanting to do it, but when they realise a 3s-gte is the same outright cost but far exceeds the performance levels and tunability they don't bother with the 3s-ge route, it's just not worth it even in Beams form.

For those that love the high revvy nature of the 4a the 2zz-ge makes a fantastic upgrade, 6 speed too, and keeps within the cars original design spec, but still ultimately gutless compared to the bigger swaps which are just another league.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

How easy is the 2zz swap
Kels wants an upgrade to hers...
And how costly if I do it?
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Have to say that Ian Parkhouse's 2zz is pretty well matched to my v6 although admittedly a better exhaust would see a bit more power from mine.

Thought about the Beams but Rogue said there weren't many about. Wouldn't it be lighter than a v6 and turbo?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The 2zz swap is lots of little things, the biggest one is the drivers side engine mount, the other 3 mounts all work, but the drivers one needs a new chassis hanger bracket welding in, but after that all other mounts just work.

It needs an exhaust manifold making, the 2zz one does not fit, the gear cables need a holding bracket making, the gearbox needs to be swapped for a Celica 6 speed or the linkage comes out the wrong side, either that or serious casing mods (much simpler to get a Celica box, they're cheap now) , even then the Celica box needs its selector assembly flipping 180*.

Then it's just the usual plumbing/wiring... but the wiring needs a few tricks to get it 100% right.

I've built four 2zz Mk1s to date and the first one was a huge learning curve, not a simple engine to install without knowledge.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

IanClements wrote:Have to say that Ian Parkhouse's 2zz is pretty well matched to my v6 although admittedly a better exhaust would see a bit more power from mine.

Thought about the Beams but Rogue said there weren't many about. Wouldn't it be lighter than a v6 and turbo?

Ian your V6 is being strangled by that exhaust, i said this before it was even dyno'd, a VVti 1mz should be spanking a 2zz.

The 1mz is around the same weight as the 3s-ge, there isn't much in it.
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

The biggie for me is has anyone yet fitted a rev4 3SGTE? Higher comp ratio and generally a much nicer engine - especially for a midship install.

I like the 2ZZ and the 3SGE beams but I'd agree with the basic premise that neither has the outright power to propel the relatively lardy mk1 to the 'decent' bhp/tonne ratio.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”