[Mk2] [NA] Handbrake Question (Rev 2 Import)

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan6926

[Mk2] [NA] Handbrake Question (Rev 2 Import)

Post by Ryan6926 »

Hi all I'm hoping someone can help me please

I need to adjust the handbrake as it barely works for MOT. The previous few MOT's I've noticed it's a common thing on the car. Ideally I'll want to just adjust the cables but as I'm not sure if it's possible to do so by the amount I suspect it'll need I've been looking at replacement cables.

On Eurocarparts they have 2 listed, One's longer than the other by 20mm and is also more expensive. On ebay in the outlet they sell the cables fairly cheap but it says they're for Akebono braking systems.

Are all brake calipers the same of do they vary as per import / UK etc please only I don't want to order the wrong ones as I've managed to do with my drop links already? If they do vary are the manufacturers stamped on the calipers anywhere? I'll be working on the car tomorrow so will be able to see then was just trying to order ahead so I'm not waiting so long on bits to arrive

Cheers in advance

Ryan
madbasshunter

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Handbrake Question (Rev 2 Import)

Post by madbasshunter »

The brakes are different on a rev1 to all other revs, the rev1 has smaller discs and callipers and different cables but I put new rev1 cables on my rev1 then fitted rev3 brakes to them :?
Here click on this and scroll down to mr2 http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/brake.htm
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Cheers I've seen there but thought I'd chance my arm on ebay as well and found the Euro car parts outlet who are selling the cables for 21 quid per side delivered. The only thing that confused me was that they're slightly shorter yet they're listed from 89-96?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230936671691? ... 1423.l2649 is the item I mean
Torero

Post by Torero »

The Akebono system is the manufacturer of the MR2 brakes. So that would be correct.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Perfect cheers Torero :)
2tmike

Brakes

Post by 2tmike »

Before you change the cables, have you set up the caliper pistons correctly?
For the auto adjustment to work well you need the pistons wound out so that the caliper only just slides over the pads...there'll be a thread on brake adjustment somewhere

Return to “Mechanical”