TO CUT A FLAP... OR NOT CUT A FLAP ??

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tony jinxy froude

TO CUT A FLAP... OR NOT CUT A FLAP ??

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Hi guys, been working on a friends car for ages now, its an SC conversion with uprated fuel pump, one of the first jobs was to drop in the fuel pump. went to fire her up for the 1st time today, but the pump is dead although we tested it before fitting, we have a feed to the plug where it comes out of the tunnel, but there is no resistance from the pump end of the socket. Now the question is.. do we drop the tank again ( not a nice job at all & anyone who's ever done it will know where im coming from ! ) or do we cut a flap in the tunnel & get to the wiring from there, we are assuming the wire has come off the pump when we put the tank back in. Does anyone have a measurement from the centre of the sender unit to the centre of the fuel pump housing to hand so we know where to cut please, anyone done this that has picture would be a god send too, cheers, Jinxy
jon_st205

Re: TO CUT A FLAP... OR NOT CUT A FLAP ??

Post by jon_st205 »

I can't help with the measurements Jinxy, but I would go the cutting route if you are careful enough. IME aftermarket pumps just don't last like factory Toyota items so, even if you fix it this time, it might well need doing again in the lifetime of the car. IIRC you can drop the tank a couple of inches to make the cut a bit safer.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers,
Jon
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Cheers Jon much appreciated, yeah we had hoped to drop the tank a few inches anyway before cutting, those pipes on the back of the tank are a real pain in the A***, the pump is a high quality pump so should last a fair while, will let you know how we got on, just need measurements now, cheers, Jinx
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Personally jinx I got the dropping route
I think it's safer and less damaging just case something goes wrong and end up wished you just spent a little time doin it properly ;)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Drop the tank mate, there is no way i'd grind open the tunnel and that's coming from someone that will cut anything!
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Don't end up consumed by ball of flame please Jinxy :(
MartG

Post by MartG »

If you can lift the nose of the car high enough you may be able to drop the front of the tank enough to get at the pump without disconnecting all the pipework :-k

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”