mbc

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

4ndee

mbc

Post by 4ndee »

Ok i have fitted a mbc and it wont boost above 10psi wherever i put it, i remember reading a post about it and cannot remember if you stretch the spring or cut a coil off.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: mbc

Post by Ryan S »

4ndee wrote:Ok i have fitted a mbc and it wont boost above 10psi wherever i put it, i remember reading a post about it and cannot remember if you stretch the spring or cut a coil off.

cut and stretch, there's just too much material inside the thing.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

i just took it out and stretched it out and it now boosts to 12ish which will be fine for the moment
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

I removed a very crude MBC from my brother's car earlier. When we bought it we were expecting it to be fairly loud given that it has a screamer pipe but my CT20 makes more noise. First off we discovered the pipe had come off the wastegate so it obviously wasn't opening. Secured that but it made no difference. More recently I wound the 'MBC' right open so it was basically doing nothing and still no action from the wastegate.

After pulling it off today it seems the design of the little inline device is really bad. It's got no moving parts inside, just a tapered sprung bolt that you screw in from the bottom but even then it still passes air freely.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

lmao drove fine today but back to 10psi, went to take the spring out to cut a coil of and it had bent down into the port to the actuator now the spring is pretty bent, so i read on the internet and apprently you can swap them for a ball point pen spring lol sure the spring rating is the same......not. but i found one and its the same length and compresses the same so ill try it tomorrow and see. Otherwise ill have to sort the old spring
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Cutting the spring short will reduce the spring. Stretching it, as long as you bend the metal past its elestic limit will put more spring into the spring. Until a spring is compressed its just a coil.

I found with my MBC that after dissasembly you could assemble it in such a way that the spring would seat in the thread of the bolt hole so moving the adjuster did nothing.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”