Opinions please - stereo wiring

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Beebaleen

Opinions please - stereo wiring

Post by Beebaleen »

Hey guys,

I am looking at putting a new stereo in my MR2 Mk2. It currently has the old tape deck and unfortunately not many bands now release onto cassette (who knows why?) How frowned upon is cutting the stereo harness off and soldering it in. I bought 2 harnesses and both didn't work. I am kind of getting sick of it to be honest. opinions?
jasongtr

Re: Opinions please - stereo wiring

Post by jasongtr »

what pin/plug layout do you have as i have an mr2 to iso conversion lead
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Soldering on will work and tape each core up, not the best but works. You could always have a search on ebay and try match it up by pics which is what i did.. It did take a while but got one less than a fiver!
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Put up a picture of the plug or plugs on the back of the stereo and I will tell you which lead you need
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

dont hack the wiring! Get yourself the proper adaptors and it will literally just plug and play into any modern DIN or Double din unit. Active or non active is I believe the two choices and as said post up the connectors on the car side and also the DIN unit and folks here will be able to help you.
Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

http://s298.photobucket.com/user/Beeba ... tallation

This has all the pictures of the harness bit I currently have and how I have put them together. The unit powers up but nothing comes out the speakers. No setting exists to fiddle with the internal amp (If it has one). The stereo works in other cars. The cassette player plays through speakers etc. Thanks in advance for the help! :)
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

Won't work sadly, tried one of those. thanks anyway :D
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

no worries, posted it up as its not the same as any on your link
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Beebaleen wrote: http://s298.photobucket.com/user/Beeba ... tallation

This has all the pictures of the harness bit I currently have and how I have put them together. The unit powers up but nothing comes out the speakers. No setting exists to fiddle with the internal amp (If it has one). The stereo works in other cars. The cassette player plays through speakers etc. Thanks in advance for the help! :)

When you plugged this into the car did the aerial go up?
If not have you connected the blue white remote lead on the iso adaptor to the blue on the stereo loom? As it needs power to the remote to switch the amps and aerial on.

Jason that's a passive audio lead you have there.
Last edited by madbasshunter on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

Yeah, the aerial went up. All works but no sound :(
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Have you connected the blue/white wire to 12v ?
RyanRs wrote:

Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

Do I need to? What does it do?
Soupdragon

Post by Soupdragon »

It switches your amps on ,mine was the same dead without it connected.
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

Mines was also the same till by luck i decided to connect the blue/white wire up and boom, we had sound.
Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

Yup perfect, thanks guys might rewire it so the aerial goes down when not in use :D
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Beebaleen wrote:Yup perfect, thanks guys might rewire it so the aerial goes down when not in use :D

I just put a switch in the aerial remote on the dash so I can switch the aerial on or off :)
RyanRs wrote:

v1xz

Post by v1xz »

When you connected your new headunit did you get any strange sound problems?
When i bought my MR2 the smart arss has chopped the connector and re-connected it with insulation tape to the new wires. Im having great problems finding the ground for my OEM amp.
nordland071285
Location: Currently Own: MR2 1995, Fiesta RS Turbo Previously Owned: MR2 mk1, Fiesta RS1800, Calibra DTM

Post by nordland071285 »

hi all,
I got an 95 MR2 yesterday and tried to swap the headunit today with a sony one that I used in both my mk1 mr2 and my recent fiesta.
I went to Halfords and they only had the harness for 'non active' speakers but it wouldn't fit on annoyingly

here's a photo of the plug in the car that I need to attach my new headunit to
www.pinkbike.com/photo/10399157/?s5

the other harness specified on the Halfords computers (not in stock at the moment) is for active speakers.. but the picture doesn't look right

any ideas? I need music!!
and also while my hazard light is disconnected, my indicators don't seem to work :(

thanks
v1xz

Post by v1xz »

Your indicators will work once the hazard switch is plugged back in.
I think I might have a active speaker connection somewhere if you really need it?
i like MR2

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”