driftworks hsd monopro coilovers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Skinny81

driftworks hsd monopro coilovers

Post by Skinny81 »

I bought a set of these a couple of weeks back, fitted the fronts to my rev1 turbo, no problem, but the rears don't fit because there isn't enough depth in the mounting bracket to accept the hub stubby bit. #-o

has anyone else fitted these to their cars or experienced issues with them?

cheers

John
Donato

Re: driftworks hsd monopro coilovers

Post by Donato »

I had a set that I managed to fit no problem. Have you got any pictures to show the issue your having? If your really struggling phone up Driftworks and tell them, they are really helpful on the phone :thumleft:
Skinny81

Post by Skinny81 »

yeah I phoned them already and they said I might have rear hubs that are slightly different because Toyota fitted slightly different hubs to a special model apparently.

found this hard to believe as there is nothing special modely about my rev1 turbo. :D

I've seen manufacturers specify that their shocks are 'not for turbo' before and wonder if there are differences between turbo rear hubs and n/a hubs.

it would make sense to me that the turbo hubs would be beefed up a bit.

the problem area is where the two bolts go through the hub attaching the shock.

the hub stub bottoms out on the shock so the bolt holes don't line up. ](*,)

my old bilsteins had a few mill more clearance when I measured. :-k
Donato

Post by Donato »

All coilovers on the SW20 are the same. Not too sure why Driftworks said that. Even the Beams has the same suspension layout. Have you tried wire brushing the hubs to get rid of rust / corrosion? Might be worth giving that a shot as that would clear some mm's up, if you have t already done so. How about putting one bolt in? Or do neither line up?
What did Driftworks say to do because you had "special" hubs? They've listed it for the SW20. The pictures on their website for the coilovers are from my car.
Skinny81

Post by Skinny81 »

hi

they said I may have to grind away part of the rear of the hub, or carrier I should say really.

I just about managed to get one bolt in but the other definitely wouldn't go.

i'm gonna have another look one evening this week just incase i'm being special. :sick: although I don't think I am as the bilsteins I had to put back went on easily. :-k
Donato

Post by Donato »

You shouldn't really need to grind the hubs down. Just a thoight, but would you be able to get camber or crush bolts through the holes?
Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

This is the 3rd time it's happened to a member on this forum

But others have fitted the HSD monos fine

I don't know what the constant in the situation is

Either some of the coilovers are bad

Or like driftworks have said maybe there is something slightly different on rev1s for whatever reason causing the issues

I will try to find the thread
Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

Ethan21

Post by Ethan21 »

monkeyra wrote:Blimey, I saw this topic title and thought it was mine! About 3 or 4 years ago I was in a GB for some of these. And I had the exact same problem. After much discussion with Driftworks (who the GB was organised through) they eventually got some new, amended brackets for me. Took months to get resolved, but yes, there is an issue with possibly only Rev1's (which mine is).

Knew I'd read it somewhere
Skinny81

Post by Skinny81 »

replacement lower brackets that actually fit sounds like a reasonable way to proceed with this issue, i'll phone driftworks tomorrow and see what they say.

cheers for everyones help. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”