[Mk2] [Turbo] Front drivers side knocking REV3 Turbo.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2Madlad

[Mk2] [Turbo] Front drivers side knocking REV3 Turbo.

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Hi all again

Have another issue I have never been able to sort in my 10 year MR2 Turbo ownership.

Drivers side front suspension seems to knock when going over minor dips, drain covers, holes etc, but nothing noticeable when going over speed humps.

Car is REV 3 1994 Turbo

I have personally changed:

Track Control Arm - both sides genuine toybota
Tie Bar - both sides genuine toybota
Antiroll bar bushes (which were shot) genuine OEM pair
Swapped drop link from passenger side to drivers and vice versa, no change to noise.
2 x new top mounts - genuine OEM pair
2 x used good Bilstien front shocks that looked pretty new (from MR2 turbo car scrapyard)
Bottom ball joints pair - genuine Toyota.

All of this has made not an iota of difference and I still get the same sound.

Even resorted to removing everything loose inside frunk and wheel arch liner drivers side to see if maybe something flapping but no.

I am now totally lost and have no idea, the worst thing is I have never tracked it down in the 10 years I have owned the car and it always passes MOTs even thou I have said to the MOT guy its got a knocking pleas find it as I want to know.

The funny thing is when the car has been used for a good 15 - 20 mins it shuts up which is even more annoying. ](*,) ](*,)

Can't feel it though steering or breaking, can't feel it anywhere but can hear it and its quite loud.

Anyone have any idea ?????

Already pulled my hair out and swore lots after spending out on the new bits, fortunately sold the used parts on well known auction site for reasonable amount and buyers reported the bits fixed their issues (which is even more annoying to me as I have not ! ) so got some money back.

Great full for any help on this one as it would close this chapter of the annoying noise.

Thanks
Baker

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Front drivers side knocking REV3 Turbo.

Post by Baker »

Only a few things missing from that list.
I'm guessing you checked the spring cups under the topmounts?
Also, are your springs seated ok?
Mr2Madlad

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Baker wrote:Only a few things missing from that list.
I'm guessing you checked the spring cups under the topmounts?
Also, are your springs seated ok?

Hi thanks for the reply

The springs seem to fit / sit fine.

The top spring cups are well rusty but solid, should there be any sort of plastic / rubber bit between the spring top and cup or even the spring & shock seat ?

This is the last thing I can think of, maybe the spring is rubbing on the cup when doing its business ?

Thanks
2tmike

knock

Post by 2tmike »

Should be a rubber seat between the spring and the cup on the topmount. Mind you with the car weight on it it's perhaps unlikely that the spring could move against the cup
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Next to the battery under a small cover is the steering rack linkage. If I grab the steering rack there and shake I have a 'broken drop link/knocking sound' and I think this is what is making the noise when driving.
It's been bugging me as I kept taking stuff out the frunk thinking it was toolkit or battery. Don't know if this is your issue?
stig

Post by stig »

Hello Mr2Madlad,

Did you ever find a solution to this? Getting exactly the same problem myself.

Changed the ball joints, track rod ends, steering rack end, then got a reconditioned steering rack, replaced all the front end bushes, tried to check everything is tight etc.
Not made any difference at all.

Only noise I can replicate that is a bit similar, is if I grab the steering knuckle under the plastic cover in the frunk and move it up and down. Get a knocking sound from underneath the car?
Also the problem seems worse when the car is cold, it can quieten down a bit when the car warms up.

Sure the noise started when I had the suspension replaced (swapped old stock turbo suspension for bc racing coilovers)
Have since been back the garage several times to have things checked, taken off, put on again.
Spent a load of time and money on this and have got exactly nowhere!

At that point now where I'm thinking of getting rid ](*,)
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

stig wrote:if I grab the steering knuckle under the plastic cover in the frunk and move it up and down. Get a knocking sound from underneath the car?

That isn't right.
stig

Post by stig »

As the steering rack has been replaced already, I figure I may as well get a spare steering knuckle/column and swap it for mine?

Any other ideas please?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

stig wrote:I figure I may as well get a spare steering knuckle/column and swap it for mine?

No point if there is nothing wrong with it. You've already replaced loads of other parts unnecessarily.

stig wrote:Any other ideas please?

From this distance, no.

I've had so many cars in with similar problems that turn out to be different side, different end, incorrectly installed or faulty components that the only way i can diagnose effectively is to have the car in front of me.
stig

Post by stig »

Well, I don't know there is nothing wrong with it. The steering rack has been replaced but not the steering knuckle part and it does knock from this area as I said before.

It's a shame your not closer to me Peter or I would come over. Half my problem is that the noise dies down after so long/so many miles and becomes harder to detect.

Return to “Mechanical”