Max Power TRD Rescue

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Super_red

Max Power TRD Rescue

Post by Super_red »

Right, after trying to build an MR2 with a body kit for nigh on 10 years the missus and I decided to just buy one. This was whilst on holiday in France at my parents house which is well stocked with wine and in the middle of nowhere. This is unfortunatly the car we bid on and although we didnt win the auction we emaild the guy and he said the winner was a dreamer and if we came to see it we could make an offer. We did.

Running on D2 coil overs set to stupidly low, the 18 inch wheels are the wrong offset for either a standard MR2 or a TRD so the camber had been adjusted to allow the rears to sit inside the metal arches. This resulted in 6mm tread where you can see it and no tread at all on the inside edge. An HKS Sequential dump valve set so it drew air in under vacuum and let it out under boost and a badly retrimmed interior.

This weekend I swapped out the D2's for the suspension on my pverious tubby which was in itself from my UK N/A, so stock but with GMax springs. I did only get the rear done. I also fitted my wheels, not Japanese exotica but staggered fitment and deeper dish on the rear too. I know spacers are a bit Ferrari replica but to make them fit I used 40mm rear and 30mm front. You can buy wheels that fit the TRD directly but I have had these wheels since first starting to project my MR2.

Hopefully during the week I can remove the white bucket seats and fit my stock interior then the plan is just to drive it and enjoy it. I have a ton of stuff I bought for my MR2 like a charge cooler and BBK but I dont have the time so for now its just going to get used. Long term it needs some more remedial work before it can be 100% presentable despite what it looks like in pictures or from about 10 feet away.
synXero

Re: Max Power TRD Rescue

Post by synXero »

Why haven't I bought a TRD yet?!

Lovely mate!
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Very nice
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Liking that a lot - even more with a change of wheels! Unusual vents on the top side of the front wings - not seen those before.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

This is sweet :thumleft:

Has it been test flown with that wing yet? :lol:
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

Congrats!! It's really cool!!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

The spoiler was something I really didnt like when I was looking to buy the car but after following the wife driving it for about 100 miles it has really grown on me. It does not obscure your rear view at all but it does cause some drag and noise. Its genuine carbon fibre and its the first thing people notice.

Got an engine management light today so used the SST to read off the fault code and it was the AFM, I had thought all the over fueling was the shocking BOV which I ditched for a stock one as soon as I had it home but I swapped the AFM from my old tubby and its driving better. Got to look at why the speedo does not work which I think is also limiting my boost and why the lockwood dials have no light at night (I suspect the old black dials are still underneath).

The Max Power rear lights are not to my liking but they do work perfectly well. I would like to chop in some smoked lights but at the moment I am unsure what exactly the colour of the paint is, the car is a 202 black so its not the original colour and unlikely to be a toyota one I think.

Need to look at the vents in the wings, they are fibrglass but may have been added as one is begining to crack. I am sure when I was looking at kits over the last 10 years I have seen one like it.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Lovely car, the front anyway but the back :-k
Infamous

Post by Infamous »

I'd be fairly confident those vents were added by whoever installed them.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I saw that one when it was advertised. At the time I felt sorry for it as it was potentially a stunning car but the styling was a little misguided.

Good luck with the rescue. I look forward to seeing what you do with it :thumleft:
CRAIGROBBO

Post by CRAIGROBBO »

Very nice! And very wide! I bet that draws lots of attention when out n about...

Craig
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Looks real nice from the front mate, I think I`d switch to a genuine TRD spoiler though to finish the kit and lose the big wing.
RST

Post by RST »

Good luck with it. The cars look quite different with the widebody kit. Like the look of it but I think you have somewhat of a rear end project LoL. In some respect yours is a bit tidier than mine and easier to sort. I would love to see a full rear round light conversion like the Skylines, I don't think the rev 6 rears by their own admission was one of Rogues better ideas.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Yeah I am looking for a genuine (ish) spoiler but then I have to get the holes and dents in the boot fixed before I can fit it so the cost does rack up. I would like to get some dark rear lights cut into the kit at the same time and possibly a filler cap. The filler on this has been moved inside the engine bay (gulp) and then the TRD cover has been bonded in place and is sinking so shows up quite badly. I am thinking I will put a round alloy type filler on the wing behind where it is supposed to locate and then route that into the pipe which is in the engine bay. The wing is larger and flatter further back so it should work. I dont think the regular filler cover will come out in one peice without a fight and even then it might be a bad copy piece not worth fitting.

Removed the ECU piggy back today, car runs better. Going to replace the front suspension over the weekend and possible fit the REV 6 lights I recently aquired but my goodness do they rot (not a dig at the seller as they all do it).
boyleonthebum

Post by boyleonthebum »

this car was local to me and made me upset every time i saw it, please make it good :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Super_red wrote:fit the REV 6 lights I recently aquired but my goodness do they rot (not a dig at the seller as they all do it).

If you mean the front rev6 lights, the fixed twin lamp ones, I think Rogue acknowledged there was a problem with the coating used on the metal and were going to replace them as a warranty thing. I may be wrong though.

Edit: OK so I didn't remember it quite right :lol: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=136561
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

toxo wrote:
Super_red wrote:fit the REV 6 lights I recently aquired but my goodness do they rot (not a dig at the seller as they all do it).

If you mean the front rev6 lights, the fixed twin lamp ones, I think Rogue acknowledged there was a problem with the coating used on the metal and were going to replace them as a warranty thing. I may be wrong though.

Edit: OK so I didn't remember it quite right :lol: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=136561

Yep but its another £60, probably plus postage and I have to exchange the ones I have which means stripping them down. A few coats of hammerite should see them ok for a while, that and some drainage holes.

I'm now thinking of getting some edge trim beading (the black U shaped stuff that goes around cheap motorcycle replacement windscreens) and trying to cut a hole for some standard rear lights. Thing is I wont know until I cut and then I am commited. I will probably have to bring the lights to the edge of the kit if I try to do it this way without having to repaint.

I like the black lexus style lights but its going a bit Max Power again. I have 2 sets of REV1/2 lights which are the right age. If I cut the rear panel for REV1/2 I wont then be able to go Lexus as they use a rev 3 center. I cant stomach the prices some want for second hand REV 3+ lights.

Someone buy my Autopista Spoiler so I can buy the lights I want!
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Cant believe ive only just came across this one... Its a nailer :) I like it! definitely has bags of potential!

I really think those wheels you have put on it suit it big time and I love the spoiler... its mega!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Cheers. To be honest the lights are worse than the spoiler so they are higher on my list of prioties. I can see the spoiler getting more and more lame as time goes on but its just about acceptable at the moment.

I only have REV1/2 lights at my disposal at the moment but about 8 years ago I bought a can of red light tint so I might get a set of the lights I have and turn the amber bits red and then try to fit them but it will have to be done in such a way that I dont have to do any paint work. I am worried about cutting to much of the kit away as I dont know what is holding what on. I beleive the kit was fitted as it is now rather than being done in sections then shmooved after.

Still love looking at this car though and thats what I bought it for really, to pose in and enjoy myself.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Yeah I'm with you on the rear lights and to be honest I'd be a bit apprehensive myself about cutting in... But you never know until you go for it.. I think it would finish the rear off nicely. I think the spoiler down a bit lower might be better? Obviously the TRD ones suit the kit perfect but it's different so I like it :)

Return to “Member Profiles”