Honda S2000 v Toyota MR2 n/a

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: Honda S2000 v Toyota MR2 n/a

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Road car, torque please.
merdeux

Post by merdeux »

Cheers Magic Beans. I think the S2000 is the one that ticks the most boxes I am after.

Why did you mention a Westfield always fancied something of that ilk but I'm not Hardcore enough yet. Or I do like the idea of the Carver bike/car Hybrid.

I can't believe my MR2 ownership is to end sooner than I imagined, but I'm sure the MR2 chapter in my lfe is not over and there will be a trilogy.

Thanks for the input guys.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

test drove the S2000 before getting the cayman.

I could never ever get used to have to rev the engine past 6k rpm to get moving - and you really have to. Despite being RWD and LSD they have a reputation for being tricky on the limit - not easy to catch it when it lets go.

Very cramped cabin - literally no storage space. Forget about a quickie in the car! Oh and what eventually stopped me - completely insane insurance!
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

cvega666 wrote:test drove the S2000 before getting the cayman.

I could never ever get used to have to rev the engine past 6k rpm to get moving - and you really have to. Despite being RWD and LSD they have a reputation for being tricky on the limit - not easy to catch it when it lets go.

Very cramped cabin - literally no storage space. Forget about a quickie in the car! Oh and what eventually stopped me - completely insane insurance!

Over the bonnet does it :mrgreen:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

I had a play in one, fantastic sounding, rev happy, typical honda point and squirt machine.

As above though, cramped (although nice) interior, next to no storage space, have to wring its neck to get any performance out of it, and I hated that, that feeling you have to give the car a kicking to get it to move, had to drop down a gear whenever I wanted to do any meaningful overtaking due to the practically non-existent torque.

However...

It is a fantastic looking car, and the moments we get a break in the bleakness get that roof off and listen to that revvy vtec lump, it sounds incredible. Ive absolutely no doubt that in the right hands they are a capable little machine.

But having it as a day to day drive, im too lazy, couldnt be ar$ed.
merdeux

Post by merdeux »

I appreciate the cons that people mention but as per title of the thread don't compare the S2000 to other cars but specifically to the MR2 and the cons are virtually the same.

Oh and cvega666 maybe its a good thing not beng able to have a quickie in it as I'd hate to be in the dreaded need for more seats scenario. I wanna enjoy the car for a bit.

P.S can I say thanks to all the guys who think the S2000 is cramped I have never felt so good about being 5ft 8
merdeux

Post by merdeux »

Oh there is a mod which can be done that brings the vtec in at 3.5k revs. I absolutely live the vtec engine pottering around at low revs and ehen the mood takes you drop it a gear and let it scream to 9000revs.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”