[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 Turbo Battery Drain

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 Turbo Battery Drain

Post by markstevieandmads »

Ive been getting a battery drain on my turbo recently. It seems to have got worse lately.

Fist I thought it was the new amp I put in (actually its used) so disconnected that which helped a bit but still drained it according to my meter.

So I put the meter on the battery and started pulling fuses. The first fuse I pulled was the 15A DOME fuse which set off my viper alarm. I disarmed it and the battery stopped draining and voltage started going up again (all without engine running).

So I put the fuse back in again and the voltage started going up again. So I thought it was the alarm. I then armed the alarm again (holding the switch on the bonnet closed) ,expecting the voltage to start dropping but it didn't. It kept going up a bit. So I thought maybe it isn't that.

I put my amp back on it again and straight away it dropped again so removed it. It carried on dropping until I pulled the 15a dome fues again. This time the alarm never went off but the voltage stopped dropping and once I pulled the amp off again, it started going up.

The amp is now disconnected. The alarm is off, but im still getting a drop (but not as much as before).

Its got to be something to do with the 15a dome fuse but im unsure what it covers.

Any ideas?
AManInDandism

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 Turbo Battery Drain

Post by AManInDandism »

The DOME fuse covers all your internal lighting, the stereo and electric aerial.
markstevieandmads

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev 2 Turbo Battery Drain

Post by markstevieandmads »

Checked this morning and the battery is at 12.5v. Alarm was left off and car unlocked (locked away in garage). Got a new amp coming today so will wire that in and recheck in the morning.
Then if all OK will try again with alarm on.

Return to “Electrical”