Power Steering woes!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Beebaleen

Power Steering woes!

Post by Beebaleen »

Hi guys,

So yesterday my power steering decided it just didn't feel like it anymore, it hasn't been slowly going. One day it just thought, naaaaaa, I don't feel like it. I know the fixes have been covered such as "the ignition fix". I keep hearing this batted around but have no idea what this is. The fluid is a good level but I don't know where else to look. Any ideas?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Power Steering woes!

Post by toxo »

The ignition fix is where you click the ignition from 'off' to 'acc' and back again a lot (20-50 times). It cures a stuck PS relay.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

Is that a permanent or temp fix? Also how would you know if the pump or ECU is gone?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You would have to try the easy fix first, and if that doesn't resolve it then do further troubleshooting. The PS ECU has its own error code procedure like the engine ECU so there is lots you can do, but honestly try that first because it will fix it! I'd imagine if your pump had gone it would have given signs of failing before giving up completely, be it bearing noises or a loss of pressure.

The PS system is incredibly high current as it is EHPS. As a result it has its own heavy duty relay for engaging the system. The contacts inside fur up over time and clicking it on and off repeatedly breaks down the coating of crud and cleans them up. It's semi permanent, most people only have to do it once or twice in their ownership of a '2. You can of course replace the relay with a new part from Mr T but you'd best be sitting down when they give you the quote.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

It suddenly gave up on me in a car park, I was fuming,
Got home, read about the ignition fix, had a few doubts but tried it anyways, It's been working ever since :)
Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

That's great Toxo, thank you so much!. I'm an IT man by trade so I can do electrical relays etc., still get very flustered when it comes to cars etc. :D
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Beebaleen wrote:That's great Toxo, thank you so much!. I'm an IT man by trade

Me too...

Beebaleen wrote:so I can do electrical relays etc., still get very flustered when it comes to cars etc. :D

Don't worry, that will wear off :D
Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

Toxo, I am writing a legally binding agreement so that you can have my babies. It seems to be working fine, I did 50 turns for good measure! :D
shinny

Post by shinny »

If you have problems again, try reading the error code: http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... agnosi.pdf

(The code gets wiped when the ignition is turned off, so to red the code you need to do it before turning off the car while the P/S light has come on and the power assistance has failed)

If you start to get code 23 (which is a JDM import only code AFAIK) then talk to me, as I had to reverse engineer a solution to that!
Beebaleen

Post by Beebaleen »

Shinny, I can only write up a certain number of contracts.... Thank you for the information, do I need to buy a reader for the error codes? Where can I get one?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Your MR2 isn't that technically advanced lol

Error codes involve counting the pulses of the PS light! So flash flash flash is 3, flash flash flash pause flash flash is 32, etc.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

50 turns? I got mine fixed in 6 :D
shinny

Post by shinny »

Beebaleen wrote:do I need to buy a reader for the error codes? Where can I get one?

All you need is a paper clip and the ability to count. It's all described in the link I posted :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”