Stalling issue

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mlhs

Stalling issue

Post by mlhs »

I was stuck in traffic on the way to Gatwick (M25) and my car must have stalled close to 40 times if not more in 3 1/2 hours.

It was hot, traffic was barely moving and it was a total pita. Thankfully it started every time I turned the key.

It was absolutely fine under load, then whenever I had the clutch down and stopped revs would drop to around 400rpm or it would just stall. Now I tried putting it neutral rather than just have the clutch down but made little difference, or so it seemed.

The engine check light also flicked on a couple times but then back off with out stalling.

On the return leg when I hit traffic, it was fine, didn't stall once. It was idiling around 900/1000rpm. The only difference being it was a lot cooler outside.

So question is does anyone have an idea of what the problem is? And what should I do to prevent it happening again? Luckily this is England, and as much as I enjoy the current weather it's not often we get it!
Tsia

Re: Stalling issue

Post by Tsia »

Sounds like an IACV issue (Idle air control valve) - check all the vac hoses first of all, you'd be amazed how easy things like that are to miss!
jimi

Post by jimi »

Sounds like your AAV isn't closing properly (except when it's very hot) and the idle speed has been lowered to compensate.
Fine when the AAV doesn't close fully but when it does the idle speed will be too low and it will stall.
There is an easy way to check this, warm up the engine to normal running temperature, then remove the main inlet hose from the throttle body, if you look at about the 5 o'clock position you will see a small round hole (about 5mm dia ) block off the hole by tightly pressing your finger or thumb over it, if the engine stalls or the rpm drops then the AAV isn't closing and the idle screw has been screwed right in to try and drop the idle. If the idle speed stays the same then the AAV is closing OK.
mlhs

Post by mlhs »

I will check this when I get a chance tomorrow.
Not sure ill have time today.
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

Mine was doing this and I bought the manual choke conversion kit from Paul and Woodsport. Not had a problem since and the car even runs better.

If there isn't anything amiss in your inlet setup then I'd suggest getting the conversion kit.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”