Jobs to do while engines out? (Rev2 Turbo)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toecutter

Jobs to do while engines out? (Rev2 Turbo)

Post by toecutter »

Whilst I have my engine out, are there any jobs I should do while I have access?

I'm replacing it with a rebuilt motor with steel head gasket and new HFH ect.

Going to replace front and rear engine mounts, and suspension bushes seeing as though its in bits.

Anything else I should be doing?
bobhatton

Re: Jobs to do while engines out? (Rev2 Turbo)

Post by bobhatton »

New oil pump, new water pump, new cam belt, check main and big end bearings, clutch.

If the engine has done high milage new rings too
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

If the oil pump is within the specs, is it still needed to change it just because it's old? The same question about water pump.
ashley

Post by ashley »

I would change the water pump as a matter of course, the oil pump I would inspect, clean and measure- if it is ok I would re-use it.

IMO :thumleft:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

GreddyMR2 wrote:If the oil pump is within the specs, is it still needed to change it just because it's old? The same question about water pump.

The engine is out the pumps are in front of you, so easy to do now than if one of them goes when its back in the car, and they will be old and worn, is it worth not doing them?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

OK I hope my oil pump will be out of specs so I would have no doubt to change it :mrgreen:

Regarding the rings and bearings. What brand would you suggest? My car is mostly for track use.
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

I have fully rebuilt the engine that's going in, I used a new water pump, but given the oil pump was within spec and not scored ect I used the existing one.

Will most probably be using a new clutch (depending what I find when I split box) but still can't decide which one to use.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

GreddyMR2 wrote:OK I hope my oil pump will be out of specs so I would have no doubt to change it :mrgreen:

Regarding the rings and bearings. What brand would you suggest? My car is mostly for track use.

Toyota, only ones I would use
ashley

Post by ashley »

GreddyMR2 wrote:OK I hope my oil pump will be out of specs so I would have no doubt to change it :mrgreen:

Bearings: ACL Race spec

http://www.aclperformance.com.au/index.html

Rings:

If you are using forged pistons use the ones that come with them, or Toyota rings...or another option (but be very careful to specify the exact sizes you need):

http://www.totalseal.com/
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

ashley wrote:

Bearings: ACL Race spec

http://www.aclperformance.com.au/index.html

Rings:

If you are using forged pistons use the ones that come with them, or Toyota rings...or another option (but be very careful to specify the exact sizes you need):

http://www.totalseal.com/

Thanks for info.

How about clevite bearings? ACL is better?

I will be using standard pistons, so probably will buy OEM rings.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”