Am I looking back through rose tinted glasses... Looking for another mr2.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madabout

Am I looking back through rose tinted glasses... Looking for another mr2.

Post by Madabout »

I am on the look out for another SW20 MR2.

I had my last MR2 back in 2004. That was a fresh import Bomex kitted Turbo in a custom blue with deep dish split rims, S2000 seats, various other mods. Before that and from late '90s when I was at uni I had a few other imported MR2s (all g limiteds) some with interesting mods.

So I used to really like them.

Since selling my old tubby I've had lots of other interesting cars and presently have 3 MK1 MX5s where two of them would be quicker then a stock tubby MR2 given the mods done :oops:

So nearly 10 years on from my last MR2 a few questions.

1. Used to really like the Bomex kit I had but seen none for sale with it. Is this kit now seen old hat?
2. What body issues do I need to look out for (sills, etc?)
3. Any other issues that have become common as they have got older?
4. Any of your guys and girls got them on classic car policies?

Thanks for looking.
Tedtiler

Re: Am I looking back through rose tinted glasses... Looking for another mr2.

Post by Tedtiler »

Classic insurance 150 quid, over 20 years old seems to help. Over 25, second car.
Most have some rust, the odd import not driven much in winter is still clean.

For the sake of your sanity trying to mot and loosen rusty bolts, buy one of the clean ones.

Body kits seem to cheapen the car for me. But each to their own.
edt

Post by edt »

I've owned a couple of Mk1 MR2s WAY back. Recently bought a UK spec Mk2 & am really enjoying driving it. It is a bit old school but great fun nevertheless.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Tedtiler wrote:Classic insurance 150 quid, over 20 years old seems to help. Over 25, second car.
Most have some rust, the odd import not driven much in winter is still clean.

For the sake of your sanity trying to mot and loosen rusty bolts, buy one of the clean ones.

Body kits seem to cheapen the car for me. But each to their own.

Thanks. All my last versions were fresh imports so I may have been a little spoilt before with how clean they were.

As you say not too keen on OTT kits. My last one had the bomex skirts, bomex front bumper and the rear spoiler removed with rougue rear lights. Was quite subtle for a kit I always thought and kind of wish I had kept it.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

edt wrote:I've owned a couple of Mk1 MR2s WAY back. Recently bought a UK spec Mk2 & am really enjoying driving it. It is a bit old school but great fun nevertheless.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I like the old school nature of my MK1 MX5s compared to more modern day cars so sounds like I wouldnt be disappointed.
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

I am in exactly the same situation, had a Rev 3 GT Turbo in dark green, loved it but then moved onto other cars.

I am looking now, lots of rubbish ones for sale or older rev 1 & 2 cars, if I decide to buy it would have to be the same spec as I had previously and it seems Rev 3 GT turbo tintops in decent condition are very rare.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Marmalade wrote:I am in exactly the same situation, had a Rev 3 GT Turbo in dark green, loved it but then moved onto other cars.

I am looking now, lots of rubbish ones for sale or older rev 1 & 2 cars, if I decide to buy it would have to be the same spec as I had previously and it seems Rev 3 GT turbo tintops in decent condition are very rare.

That was the same problem I had, a lot of the turbos out there are either kitted maxpower, rusty or just very rough. In the end I settled for a rev2 as it was in an excellent condition compared to all the rev3+ I was looking at.

I suppose if you had a budget of £4000+ it wouldnt be a problem to find a rev3+ in excellent condition, its only when you have a small budget then it becomes problematic.
sheep

Post by sheep »

I have the bomex kit on mine and its up for sale only down side is its a na, you could do a tubby conversion.

Image[/URL][/img]
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Nice car how much? :mrgreen: I do still like the bomex front bumper. Looks good on your car.

I phone up the two insurance companies I used for my modified mx5s and neither would touch a mr2 turbo which surprised me. REIS blankly said no this afternoon after I looked at one for sale.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Try Sky insurance, an affiliate on here!
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Cheers I may try that. What surprised me is they both turned down the mr2 turbo. As mentioned they have no problems with the mx5s and either insured or quoted for my old FD single turbo rx7 which was making 450bhp.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Madabout wrote:Cheers I may try that. What surprised me is they both turned down the mr2 turbo. As mentioned they have no problems with the mx5s and either insured or quoted for my old FD single turbo rx7 which was making 450bhp.

Sky have insured me on every mr2 I've had and the last 2 were 400bhp turbos and lots of mods with good premiums!

The other company which gets rave reviews and has competitive premiums is Classicline!

Give them both a try, sky are quite prompt and you can in most cases get an answer the same day even if it goes to the underwriter for a decision on premium,

Hope that helps!! :thumleft:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

juliankv73 wrote:
Madabout wrote:Cheers I may try that. What surprised me is they both turned down the mr2 turbo. As mentioned they have no problems with the mx5s and either insured or quoted for my old FD single turbo rx7 which was making 450bhp.

Sky have insured me on every mr2 I've had and the last 2 were 400bhp turbos and lots of mods with good premiums!

The other company which gets rave reviews and has competitive premiums is Classicline!

Give them both a try, sky are quite prompt and you can in most cases get an answer the same day even if it goes to the underwriter for a decision on premium,

Hope that helps!! :thumleft:

Thanks for your help. Cheers :thumleft:
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

compared to most 20 year old cars - the mr2 was built to last, especially an import model (less time in the uk's wet/salty roads!)

Classicline for a second car or sky if keeping your no claims running - both great prices

the cars are getting harder to find one as people that have modified them and want a return seem to always break them - understandable in the current market

hope you find a good one :thumleft:
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Rose tints .... hell no. I sold my mr2 tubby and have regretted it every day since. Hence I am search high and low stupidly for that exact car.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”