Let's talk aftermarket ECUs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Odin_S

Let's talk aftermarket ECUs

Post by Odin_S »

Well I'm after an ecu for my build. However even though launch control and TC and other bells and whistles are good. I want the car to perform exactly as it does no matter what the weather is.

Was speaking with an engine tuner and he said if the car is used daily the PFC is the best because it as the base Toyota tune which takes care of cold start part throttle and then the mapper just builds on that.

I guess what I'm looking for is owners with either motec or Link g3/4 to tell how their cars run without a Toyota base tune
Nic

Re: Let's talk aftermarket ECUs

Post by Nic »

An ECU is only as good as the mapper. There are many competent ECU's on the market (Motec, Syvecs, Apexi Power FC, HKS F-con, etc.) everyone of which will give you successful, reliable results if mapped correctly.

Choose the mapper first then go with their preferred ECU.

Ryan at http://www.2bartuning.com/ has a very good reputation amongst the Supra and GTR forums, he travels nationally and internationally mapping cars, I'd speak to him first.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Odin_S wrote:

Was speaking with an engine tuner and he said if the car is used daily the PFC is the best because it as the base Toyota tune which takes care of cold start part throttle and then the mapper just builds on that.

e

that almost sounds like someone is being lazy in the tuning...

pfc is good in that it has a base map and you can drive to tuners, but its not the reason to choose it over other ecus.

that said, ive had a pfc in all my cars, lol.
ashley

Post by ashley »

PFC is good value for money in so much as it is old and relatively basic.

If you're after something more modern with all the bells and whistles have a look at Syvecs- especially if you want Ryan to map it, it's a great ECU with a lot of features as standard. Other makes to consider would be Link, Motec, etc depending on who you want to map your car :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

eg. I used an HKS F-Con V Pro on the Supra, this was because I knew and trusted the judgement of the guy who would be doing the mapping. He owned an HKS Pro dealership and had years of experience mapping hundreds of cars from mild tune ups to track only race cars.

The result was a 550hp Supra, that was 100% reliable, drove like a stock Supra in traffic, even in 35+C temps, was used daily and never missed a beat.

Find a good mapper, with a good reputation and go from there.
Last edited by Nic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Odin_S wrote:Well I'm after an ecu for my build. However even though launch control and TC and other bells and whistles are good. I want the car to perform exactly as it does no matter what the weather is.

I guess what I'm looking for is owners with either motec or Link g3/4 to tell how their cars run without a Toyota base tune

So what is the build you want the ECU for?
Is it just a road car and what fuel will you be using?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bolton

Post by bolton »

Power fc!
Proven time after time!
greeny

Post by greeny »

It's all about who's mapping it.

You can have the best ecu in the world, but if the mapper is crap then so is going to be the drive and vice versa.

Power fc's do a job, but they're dinosaurs now.

Do your research, decide what you need in an ecu then talk to the tuner of your choice.

My recommendation would be a syvecs and get ryan to map it.

Itl be the last ecu you need to buy and you get top end quality without the extreme cost of others like motec once you add on the extras they'll charge you for features in the future.
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I'm going for a Link g3 or g4. To different owners on here have expressed intention to sell to me.

Probably go for the g3 as it's a good price and more than enough for my 350bhp + build on a 3076.

Who is the Don Chi when it comes to Link ecu?

Will look into Syvec ecu, never heard of them before

My car is only driven 5k a year but it's very reliable and I obviously want to keep this.
HurleyRacing

Post by HurleyRacing »

I think thor do quite a lot with Link ECUS

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/
-Race Car Preperation -Engine Rebuilds
www.hurleyraceengineering.co.uk
[email protected]
dai21t

Post by dai21t »

Ryan mapped my link ecu.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

PFC is an outdated ECU, G3/G4 is far better and will run a lot smoother than the standard Toyota map IME.
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

speaking of aftermarket ECU's, this is what my car has but i have no idea of the benefits etc....

My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Nic

Post by Nic »

killerferret666 wrote:speaking of aftermarket ECU's, this is what my car has but i have no idea of the benefits etc....

It looks like a modified stock ECU, the front cover doesn't look stock but the main body and internals look like a standard ECU. Probably similar to the Blitz Access, TOMS, SARD, etc. They usually raise the boost cut limit, remove the speed limiter and are mapped for more performance. If you compared it side by side with a standard ECU you'll probably notice some internal differences.

Image Image Image
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”