[Mk2] [Turbo] any guess to how much hp i might have???

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] any guess to how much hp i might have???

Post by Ryan S »

Thats totally open for debate mate. Some say yeah, others say no.
steve07

Post by steve07 »

Im getting alot of mixed opinions on this, so for me to achieve 350hp im looking at a bigger turbo, injectors different fueling and a different ecu???
do we think i should go for a different ecu than what i was going to go for the rev 3 one??
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

steve07 wrote:Im getting alot of mixed opinions on this, so for me to achieve 350hp im looking at a bigger turbo, injectors different fueling and a different ecu???
do we think i should go for a different ecu than what i was going to go for the rev 3 one??

that's because there ARE so many mixed opinions mate :lol: my own opinion on tuning a rev2 is, do a rev3 conversion and stick with 300-330 bhp. my own personal opinion is that anything more and you'll need to forge the internals, i'm not saying you can't get 350+ bhp with the standard internals, it's just that I personally don't think they would last very long.

others on the site think differently. other also think the same.
steve07

Post by steve07 »

Thanks for your input mate, it does help, so once i done the rev 3 ecu and the injectors, is there anything else you think i may need to do? :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

steve07 wrote:Im getting alot of mixed opinions on this, so for me to achieve 350hp im looking at a bigger turbo, injectors different fueling and a different ecu???

with a ct20b you dont really require a standalone ecu, you can make do with the rev3 ecu

however thats because you wont be making near 350hp, more 280-310hp at 1.2bar.

put it this way,

you wont get 350hp from the ct20b
you wont safely get 350hp from the rev3 ecu
you wont safely get 350hp from 540s injectors that are part of that ecu conversion.

now it is possible to make 350hp with the rev3 ecu conversion and injectors (by pushing it behond there limits), however you require a bigger turbo and to have your fingers crossed your fueling/det and pistons hold out.
steve07

Post by steve07 »

that all makes sense, id much rather between 280-320 hp and know its alot safer, i dont want to risk knackering my engine now ive just had a head rebuild lol, i suppose in the near future i can always go bigger turbo and go forged lol
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

steve07 wrote:Thanks for your input mate, it does help, so once i done the rev 3 ecu and the injectors, is there anything else you think i may need to do? :thumleft:

turn up the boost to 17psi, as jim said, could be power from anywhere between 280-310. i'd leave it at that, the money involved in the extra 40bhp (to get to 350bhp) really isn't worth it. 300bhp in these motors is plenty. in fact, 280 is plenty in them.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

steve07 wrote:that all makes sense, id much rather between 280-320 hp and know its alot safer, i dont want to risk knackering my engine now ive just had a head rebuild lol, i suppose in the near future i can always go bigger turbo and go forged lol

That is what I would do.

When you do get round to getting forged pistons they will need to be lower compression than stock if you want to run higher that stock boost.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
steve07

Post by steve07 »

thanks for all the input guys really a big help

Return to “Modifications”