Import speedo not working

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gtschris.com

help

Post by gtschris.com »

This info will save you some time:

The 0-180 speedo are JDM only so glimited and turbo cars (uk were 0-160mph), so thats a JDM speedo your working with.

That grey wire on your speedo chip is not used on MR2 install, as Bob said the speedo signal comes from the gearbox sender to the ECU then the output speed is fed back through the loom to the engine ecu.

If that speed chip has gone faulty then no signal is getting back to the ecu hence you getting a speedo signal ecu fault code generated.

That type of chip work by slowing the pulse signal down by a factor of 1.62 thus after install your JDM KMPH clocks magically read MPH, this also effectively delimits the car because the speedo output signal is now slower - so the Jap 180 kilometer per hour speed limiter is still on the engine ECU but you'd need to hit 180MPH to activate it, your not going to have a 180mph SW20 running factory EMS :)

I'd remove that chip (remembering to connect the purle loom wire back up) then test the car, if it starts working they you'll need a new chip (we have them instock) If its still not working then inspect speedo drive and start checking wiring with meter. (We have good tested e153 speedo drives instock should you need one)

Good luck.
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
Davsurfa

Re: Import speedo not working

Post by Davsurfa »

You guys are legendary!!! I'll rip it out and try that. Cheers
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

With the chip on my coffee table dash all back together, still no speedo.
So how much would a speedo drive cost then? :roll:

It there a method of testing this chip? If its any good then once the speedo is working I could use it
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

Davsurfa wrote:With the chip on my coffee table dash all back together, still no speedo.
So how much would a speedo drive cost then? :roll:

It there a method of testing this chip? If its any good then once the speedo is working I could use it

PM sent :thumleft:
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

So got my speedo sensor today from gtschris, bit of a bu88er to get out but once out the problem was a little obvious

This is the one I got today

And this would be the one I just took out of my car

After fitting the new one surprisingly enough my speedo works!!! Next up is to throw the converter back on and see if that works too.

Big thanks to gtschris and to everyone else who sent me in the fit direction
:thumleft: :thumleft:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

This makes sense to me - my Turbo had the silly white Lockwood dials when I bought it. Rev counter worked, fuel guage worked, but the temp sensor never budged, and the speedo never read the correct speed and kept getting stuck. My engine management light also comes on.

I replaced the Lockwood dials with black turbo dials, and the same thing happens! Speedo reads wrong, temp guage doesn't work, boost gauge is sticky, and the rev counter works. Engine management light still comes on.

When replacing the dials there wasn't the little chip over the 4 holes on the back. Is this why all these things are happening? And where can you get the chip?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The chip is a KPH to MPH converter so only works on the speedo

You need to check for fault codes to see why the managment light is on
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Finally got my converter back in today, everything works, speedo reads in mph now and I'm a very happy bunny 8)
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

Cool
Last edited by arif_manji on Sat May 23, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of:
1996 MR2 Import G-Limited Auto
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Mines a 94 with no airbags,t/c or abs. I'd guess they are for airbags but don't take my word for it cuz I don't have them,I'm just guessing

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”