[Mk2] [Turbo] mk2 92 overheating

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grazzy

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] mk2 92 overheating

Post by Grazzy »

HighwayStar wrote:Got nothing else to say fella except I feel really really sorry for you.
I know what I'd do but can't recommend or even suggest it on a public forum. It's a farcical situation when someone can sell something as working and when it's discovered on the same day it actually doesn't work just say well it was alright just before you bought it, bad luck, and walk away. Like a game of pass the shitty parcel.
Did the advert for the car describe it as working/good condition?.... Just trying to think of any grounds you might still have to get your money back...

well there was something missing from the ad out of the car. despite the bull about the good running order. The subs were missing from the car. under DSR this is classed as a incomplete products. used or new as was not as stated. I'm sorting the car out first causing me more than enough stress.

Pretty much the entire deals was completed away from vehicle expect payment was in person.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Because neither ad states SOLD AS SEE means that it falls under the below.

(for England, Scotland and Northern Ireland)

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 and the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) (Amendment) Regulations 2005 give you protection when 'shopping from a distance', for example over the phone or internet. You must receive clear information about the trader, the goods, the delivery and the price. You also have the right to cancel within seven working days. The Regulations make it a criminal offence to demand payment or threaten legal action to obtain payment for unsolicited (things you haven't ordered) goods or services.

The Electronic Commerce Regulations 2002 specify the rules that apply to traders who use electronic means, such as the internet, to promote and sell their goods and services.

In the guide
What is 'distance selling'?
Which contacts are not covered by these regulations?
The right to clear information
Your right to cancel and the 'cooling off' period
Exceptions to the right to cancel
Performance of the contract
Protection for card payments
Unsolicited goods and services
Electronic Commerce Regulations 2002
ashley

Post by ashley »

Grazzy wrote:Because neither ad states SOLD AS SEE means that it falls under the below.

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 and the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) (Amendment) Regulations 2005 give you protection when 'shopping from a distance', for example over the phone or internet. You must receive clear information about the trader, the goods, the delivery and the price. You also have the right to cancel within seven working days. The Regulations make it a criminal offence to demand payment or threaten legal action to obtain payment for unsolicited (things you haven't ordered) goods or services.

The Electronic Commerce Regulations 2002 specify the rules that apply to traders who use electronic means, such as the internet, to promote and sell their goods and services.

In the guide

My understanding is that the above relates to dealing with a Trader, this was a private sale and so you do not have the same protection. Sales between individuals are all sold as seen, and as Peter stated- caveat emptor applies.

Sorry- you don't have any come back, the guy ripped you off and is unwilling to do the right thing...live and learn I guess :mad:
Last edited by ashley on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

ashley wrote:
Grazzy wrote:Because neither ad states SOLD AS SEE means that it falls under the below.

In the guide

My understanding is that the above relates to dealing with a Trader, this was a private sale and so you do not have the same protection. Sales between individuals as sold as seen, and as Peter stated- caveat emptor applies.

Sorry- you don't have any come back, the guy ripped you off and is unwilling to do the right thing...live and learn I guess :mad:

(for England, Wales and Northern Ireland)

When you buy a used motor vehicle from a trader, you enter into a legally binding contract and you are entitled to expect that it is of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, and as described. An older vehicle with high mileage may not be as good as a newer vehicle with low mileage, but it should still be fit for use on the road and in a condition that reflects its age and price.

Traders cannot take away consumers' rights by using terms such as 'sold as seen' or 'no refunds'. If you buy a used vehicle from a trader online, you may have additional rights under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. You do not have the same legal rights if you buy a vehicle from a private seller or an auction.

If the used vehicle is faulty, you have a short time after buying it to reject it. You may have other remedies such as repair or replacement. If the vehicle is faulty then you need to write to trader you bought it from. You should confirm the details of your complaint and the remedy you are seeking and keep copies of all correspondence. As a last resort, you may need to consider taking court action. Remember, used vehicles may have some faults, but they should not be excessive. Fair wear and tear is not considered to be a fault.

In the guide
The law
Private sales
Internet sales
Auctions
Internet auctions
Credit
Mileage
MOTs
Insurance claims
Action to take
ashley

Post by ashley »

This sale was not from a trader
Last edited by ashley on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Grazzy wrote: You do not have the same legal rights if you buy a vehicle from a private seller or an auction.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Like i said I'm working on the stress of the car. first. I did contact the seller with in 7 days to make him aware of the issues and what i would take a good will towards the repair which was not unreasonable. I asked for £200 towards the repair.
ashley

Post by ashley »

You did the right thing, the only other thing you could have done was take it back and demand your money back, but even then (unfortunately) he could simply have said no and have been within his rights. All the regulations you have quoted would be relevant if he was set up in business selling cars, but from what you've said he isn't- he's a private individual selling on a car; so 7 days is irrelevant, not stating sold as seen is irrelevant. The only come back you have is if he'd signed a contract with you giving you a guarantee or something- which he didn't.

The long and the short of it is that if the seller will not voluntarily refund you then there is nothing legal that you can do.

Sorry!
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Did the seller give you a receipt for the car ?
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

madbasshunter wrote:Did the seller give you a receipt for the car ?

No
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

ashley wrote:If you do get a whole engine I would highly recommend you at least do the main and big end bearings, inspect the bores, inspect the oil pump, and change the timing belt, pulleys and water pump.

Would be a good opportunity to stick a metal head gasket in as well.

That way you'll spot any potential issues before install, and have an engine that's set to run for a good long time :thumleft:

Thanks for the advice on this Ashley. These things are going to be looked by the garage. I think they have belts and pump's etc that they ordered whiles the Head was attempting to be skimmed.

I'm just hoping after all of this, the end result is going to be awesome & I can post some pic's of joy.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

Just been contacted by my garage doing the repair. said good news, all belts, pumps etc have been changed. They started putting the engine in yesterday afternoon should be ready late tomorrow afternoon early Friday morning.
Grazzy

Post by Grazzy »

I got the car back yesterday after a lot of work was done on the car and its running awesome. The list of things what were done on the car was massive. I would just like to thank GTS Chris for selling me a good engine. quick delivery & the condition of the engine was very awesome.

Just also like to thank everyone for the comments and help on here also.
Moo

Post by Moo »

Not exactly what you were expecting when you bought the car but glad you got it sorted. Now it's time to enjoy :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Yeah.
Take it out and spank it!

Return to “Mechanical”