Import speedo not working

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Davsurfa

Import speedo not working

Post by Davsurfa »

I have a Rev3 jap import. The clocks are 180mph(only mph no kph markings at all) so I'm guessing the previous owner swapped the clocks but the speedo needle doesn't move and the milage isn't going up. If I go anywhere above 40 the engine management light comes on which I hazing a guess is the speedo sensor on the gearbox, does that sound about right?
Also if the gearbox sensor hasn't been changed would I be right thinking there is a difference between a Japanese sensor and a UK sensor? Would a UK sensor solve my problem?
Super_red

Re: Import speedo not working

Post by Super_red »

Dont think the speedo sensors are different and when my speedo sensor was broken (rev 2 turbo) I did not have an engine management light but my PAS was crazy as it was on all the time.

The speedo sensor is on a 12 volt circuit with the alternator and this is known to break inside the loom. For me I found out when my alternator stopped charging the battery (no alternaotr light with tis fault).

Check you have 12 volts to the sensor, you wont be able to check the output without proper test equipment.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Have you checked the 3 connectors on the back of the speedo unit are plugged in properly? Check the back of the speedo unit to see if there is an extra square circuit board mounted with 4 screws, this circuit board is a mph speedo converter, check the screws are secure and making a proper contact.

Also have you done a diagnostic check to see if there are any saved error codes?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The signel from the gearbox sensor goes to the speedo, then out of the speedo to the power steering and on to the ECU.

Check the rear of the speedo first, then check to see if there is a damage to the gearbox sensor gears.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Cheers for the responses, I remember reading somewhere the jap speed sensor runs on 4 pulses whereas the uk runs 12. Maybe it was wrong. But I do have a mate who works at a local garage so I could get him to test it.
When I got the car none of the speakers were plugged in and considering the clocks have been changed, them being unplugged is actually quite likely! When I got the car the guy said the speedo didn't work and provided a new set of clocks which unfortunately are for a Rev1 and are cable driven so not really much use to me.

Is it easy to remove the clocks?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Once you know how to do it, removing the dash panels and speedo unit is an easy 5 minute DIY job. Follow these guides which go through each step.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/technical/howto/R ... rument.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acrQ7h1fdoc

This pic shows the back of the speedo unit, along the top there are 3 sockets. There should be a blue, brown and white connector plugged into these sockets. Each plug is a different shape so it's impossible to get them the wrong way around. The 3 plugs just press into the sockets and you'll feel/hear them click into place. If you need to remove the plugs there is a plastic clip on top of each, press this clip and pull out.

On the centre right of the same pic you should see 4 screws in a square formation, check on yours to see if there is an extra square circuit board mounted onto these 4 screws, if there is, this is an aftermarket speedo convertor. If you do have one of these type of speedo convertors check if it is the correct way around (writing on the circuit boards says which way up it should be), if has been screwed in the wrong way around this could also be causing your issues.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Legend!!! I'm on it first thing after work tomorrow, hopefully should get an early finish. Reckon I could get the clocks out, checked and back in within 3hours?? Looking at the guide I think I'm in with a chance :)
Nic

Post by Nic »

Davsurfa wrote:Legend!!! I'm on it first thing after work tomorrow, hopefully should get an early finish. Reckon I could get the clocks out, checked and back in within 3hours?? Looking at the guide I think I'm in with a chance :)

Once you know how to do it you could remove and refit in literally 10minutes, just a few screws to undo, panels and wiring connectors to unclip. One tip adjusting the steering wheel to it's lowest setting will help with clearance to remove the panels and gauge unit.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Loque

Post by Loque »

sniff sniff. Davsurfa?... Did you have a yellow Hyundai Coupe many moons ago?
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

I did indeed own such a car running 100shot of nitrous.

As soon as I get decent finish time in the evening I'll get this job cracked
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

So trying the easiest bit first I stuck a bit of wire in the diagnostic port and counted the flashes 4-2. So apparently it's the speed sensor, next step was to google speed sensor. I started seeing ABS sensors(I know I can dismiss those cuz I don't have ABS) but trying to find the sensor is proving difficult. Could anybody help?
Also even though its showing the fault as a speed sensor could the issue be behind the speedo still? As in a break in a circuit type of thing?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Speed sensor error codes are often caused by speedo converters/delimiters not working or wired in incorrectly.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Clocks out it is then :) Cheers
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Found my issue. Which wire does the ECU feed need to be connected to ona speedo converter?
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

Pic of the wiring on my clocks, there are two purple and silver wires one is cut and connected to the yellow wire on the converter the other is still connected

Nic

Post by Nic »

Sorry can't help with the wiring questions, I'm sure another member will be able to help.

For future reference, I found a pic of the speed converter/delimiter (described in my previous post) which simply screws onto the back of the speedo unit. It's suppose to be the best type available. They are made by Stef Derner.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/171/155961.html

Last edited by Nic on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

I'm all over google trying to find this ecu wire and I keep seeing these little circuit boards. Would I just be better off removing the converter I have altogether?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Davsurfa wrote:I'm all over google trying to find this ecu wire and I keep seeing these little circuit boards. Would I just be better off removing the converter I have altogether?

It would be an easy fix if you can get one. One of the good things about them from what I've read is that they compensate for the speed sensitivity of the power assisted steering, something some other convertors/delimiters don't.
Last edited by Nic on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Davsurfa

Post by Davsurfa »

I'm thinking the one I have is just a converter not a delimiter. All I want is a speedo that works lol I'm still looking where to put the grey wire. I'll sort out delimiters laters

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”