Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

coanda

Re: Project MRX350

Post by coanda »

Just finishing modelling a visor to go on the front.

The design is currently specced to take the omori gauge panel I have, but the main 'pod' could be left without that rebate so you can drill where you like.

I did decide I'd just get it done and see how it fits, as I wasn't 100% sure something wouldn't get in the way, so it's good to know you've had a look at that already Paul. A custom washer knob would be possible.

Would bringing the gauge panel further forward help at all? Currently the pod is intended to sit on the main central column piece, and end at the trim ring to hide the joint somewhat (although the visor will sit on the front face of the pod).
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

If you haven't tried anything in situ yet i would, there may be an additional fitment problem on the right where it meets the dash binnacle, that extends into the area above the radio/heater a little, it'll be very tight there.

I'd mock something up in cardboard first to check it will fit, probably doing away with the wiper arm altogether as suggested would be as good a mod as any.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Behold the mind blowing mod that is the Woodsport clock mod, forget 2gr installs, custom LSD/5th gearboxes, wide arches and carbon fibre parts, this is the mod you will all remember!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5YnQ-tm-BU

Ok, it isn't that great, just another subtle change from the normal clock, it now cycles through time/volts/outside temp in a red LED to match my main display, cool though.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well that proved popular lol , sometimes i wonder if anyone reads this.

Today saw the rear bumper shaping completed, this will now be removed for final sanding, high build primer and painting, i'm pretty happy with that.

Also ditched my rusty Mk1 headlights and fitted new Raybriggs with Xenon HID kit, so much cleaner and brighter now...

Hopefully by next weekend the rear bumper will be painted and refitted, and i should have my retrimmed interior bits back.
MartG

Post by MartG »

I read it ! :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou Mart, we need a "like" button :thumleft:
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

I´m follow Your build, too !
ashley

Post by ashley »

:ashley likes this:
stenky

Post by stenky »

i cant read. i am here only for the pics 8)
Red Wedge

Post by Red Wedge »

Paul, what's fuel consumption like on the V6? Do you run into any problems with the small tank size on the AW11 when doing a V6 swap?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Fuel consumption is actually amazing with the 2gr, most of us are seeing 35-40mpg with a mixture of driving, i know that sounds unbelieveable with a 3.5ltr V6 but that is what we are getting, so the tank size doesn't come into it.

If you drive the 2gr hard that MPG figure will drop like a stone though, but it's a very economical engine for its size.
MartG

Post by MartG »

Bigger engines in small cars can give surprisingly good fuel consumption. I remember reading an article in Autocar about it, comparing the consumption of the 2.6 v. 2.3 SD1 Rover and 2.3 v. 2.0 Mk4 Cortina ( shows how long ago it was :shock: ) - in both cases the bigger engine was more economical - which they attributed to it not having to work as hard to achieve the same performance in day-to-day driving.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

In a nutshell, that is exactly why they do so well fuel economy wise.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Finally got my seat back and base back from the trimmers, to recap these were red cloth but looked faded and not really doing the car justice, so i had them retrimmed in quality red and black leather, ignore my dirty carpet and doorcards, i'm still working on the car and the final step will be valeting everything....

Door card held in situ, i'll fit this properly tomorrow, they need a damn good clean!

MartG

Post by MartG »

B E A Utiful ! :thumleft:
stenky

Post by stenky »

were the seats 5-point-harness-ready from new or did you have to modify the padding and covers?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

They were already like that, pretty cool.

Door cards now fitted...

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The rear bumper with all of its mods is now painted, i'm pretty happy with the result although it has taken far more work than i imagined...

Should get it refitted tomorrow.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I read this thread to :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Good stuff :thumleft:

Well a very productive day, the custom rear end is refitted, i'm very happy about the way this turned out and it was the correct decision to extend the bumper into the wide arches, you never know how these things are going to look until fitted and painted, but that really works, the rear end on this car is perfection for me now....

The list of stuff to do on this massive project is getting small now, rubber trims to fit around the rear bumper/arch join, roof to repaint, front wheel arch liners need making (stock ones don't fit anymore) and then MOT.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”