Which Oil?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gullzter

Which Oil?

Post by Gullzter »

Before i start i know this has been covered many many times but looking for answers on certain things..

Im going to be doing the oil filter and oil change soon and i see alot of people here using 10w 40 fully synthetic.
Has any had experience using the gtsChris oil kit which u get a filter & sump plug & genuine toyota 5w30 fully synthetic oil?

I was steering towards the idea of 10w40 but just want to do my last bit of research before i purchase anything.

I have a rev3 turbo engine which has never been rebuilt and 125,000 kms on clock.
Johnr32

Re: Which Oil?

Post by Johnr32 »

Nothing wrong with that kit but if it was me I would definately go for an ester synthetic because the cost isnt much more than fully and is much better quality.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

The nanodrive which is the best oil you can get is only 50 quid on opie today, half tempted myself but I've already got 2x of the Gulf Competition in my garage. :thumleft:
No 2 :(
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

MR2 Rich wrote:The nanodrive which is the best oil you can get is only 50 quid on opie today, half tempted myself but I've already got 2x of the Gulf Competition in my garage. :thumleft:

I used motul 300v before which is excellent but expensive so now Im now using the gulf competition which I think is just as good and slightly cheaper.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

What is it that makes the nanodrive oil better than say for example castrol or mobil1 fully synthetic and will it be ok in my aged standard engine?
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Lower friction more power is the slogan Millers are using. Do a google search mate it will tell you a lot more than I can type :mrgreen:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

How often do you guys change your oil?

Because I use mobil 1 10w 40 semi se and change mine every 3-4 months
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Did my NA every 6 months with 5w40 fully syn, have only had the turbo a few months and have changed it once but will change it to 5w40 Gulf competition soon. It's got Gulf Formula in ATM because I didn't want to waste the competition stuff if there was something wrong with the car.
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Seems to have alot of great reviews including power and torque increase on dyno against other oils
Think i will get me a tub of this :mrgreen:
Harold

Post by Harold »

Gullzter wrote:Seems to have alot of great reviews including power and torque increase on dyno against other oils

I don't believe for a second that a different brand of oil is going to give a measurable increase in power.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Harold wrote:
Gullzter wrote:Seems to have alot of great reviews including power and torque increase on dyno against other oils

I don't believe for a second that a different brand of oil is going to give a measurable increase in power.

I agree that you would probably never notice any difference, but the difference in price isn't much between crap oil and decent oil, so I don't see the point in scrimping on something so essential. :thumleft:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I dont think it would be noticable but on an article i read they used 2 different cars on dynos there was a HP and torque increase apparently between crappy fully synthetic and and the nanodrive.. Supposedly due to the less friction thing :-k
Harold

Post by Harold »

MR2 Rich wrote:
Harold wrote:

I agree that you would probably never notice any difference, but the difference in price isn't much between crap oil and decent oil, so I don't see the point in scrimping on something so essential. :thumleft:

I'm not saying scrimp, by all means buy good oil, just don't believe all the marketing b0ll0cks that goes with it.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”