Looking for a Mk2, what to avoid?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

StealthSteve

Re: Looking for a Mk2, what to avoid?

Post by StealthSteve »

As above, typically I would too, a good chassis can have bits stripped off it and replaced.

EMail wrote:Front Anti-Roll bar attachment bracket insecure, Garage says it needs welding
uglee

Post by uglee »

If it's insecure it's usually just two bolts holding it on. Maybe worth asking for a photo of the area to confirm. But to me if it needs welding that sounds like the underside of the chassis is going rotten as that's where the bracket fixes to.

I think Foxy-Stoat had that problem with his rev1 form a long time back.
StealthSteve

Post by StealthSteve »

The fella has had enough of it, just wants it off the drive now, it's been sat a few months so not sure he'll be bothered taking pics.
(buying this as a duffer and breaking if it's very poorly wouldn't leave me out of pocket since I'd keep good parts for another 2)
From what I've read a starter is easily swapped and the car should bump start easily enough to check it's sound.

Depends what it's like when I check it, if there's no structural issues (welding needed) it's maybe worth a risk. :pray:
rs007

Post by rs007 »

StealthSteve wrote:
rs007 wrote:I've seen "doable" MR2s in the 500-750 range, but there is a hell of a lot of dross so be careful. We all like a project, its why we are on this site, but theres a project, then theres a money pit that you will just resent, where your line is is down to you as a person and what you enjoy from a car.

Having said that, I'm the muppet that bid on mine on ebay without even seeing it. I had logic on my side tho, I had a strict max bid in mind, which to me was still inside what I could get for the car if breaking, so way I seen it, if it was a dog I'd just tear it down.
Been there, done that :) at 17 I travelled from York to Bognor Regis for a 125cc bike without anything more than a fuzzy 'garage pic' because it looked pretty. It turned out to be the wrong bike as listed but once I checked what it actually was, rather than a Honda NSR125 it was Honda NS125R and I kept it 6 years.

I'm seeing one (Rev1) I've spotted on Sunday, it needs a starter motor and front anti-roll bar mount? (possibly needs the mount welding) but other than that it's ready to go.

What I forgot to say about mine is that I landed on my feet, been delighted with it, niggles and all :)

The arb brackets can tear out apparently, but coming back to exactly what I said, it isn't an issue if you are the type of guy who isn't fazed by a bit of stripping down and welding. I am pretty sure you can get plates to strengthen the area before it becomes an issue, seen them discussed on the US forums :)

I certainly wouldn't turn down a bargain because of it, just as long as you are happy with what it involves to repair :)
StealthSteve

Post by StealthSteve »

I'm local to a company called "BRG Developments" who do custom parts and machined CNC stuff so a replacement bracket wouldn't be too much hassle.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”