Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Project MRX350

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou Craig.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well it's official, some mods work and others just don't, this dash binnacle thing doesn't do it for me, even though it needs a lot of finishing off i just don't think it works...

So i am going for a triple pod binnacle above the radio/heater controls.

You don't know unless you try with some things i guess.

In other news the bumper is completed on its Fibral stage, so that is all the structural work done, i reinforced the rears...

Then panel gaps were sorted, these need final filling and sanding, but pretty close...

Earlier i took the car outside to get an overview of the bumper...

That definitely works for me, looking forward to getting that into paint so it isn't so in your face.
MartG

Post by MartG »

It just keeps getting better :thumleft:

( I agree on the binnacle =; )
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

I too agree on the binnacle. To be honest, when you first posted the pics of it, I was a little confused as to actually what it was!

As for the rest of the car - it's absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see it finished! Truly is a work of art. And I love the fact it's subtle enough not to look silly like some of the tacky modded Mk1s you see. The OEM direction is definitely the best way to go in my opinion. :thumleft:

If you don't mind I may use this wide arched version for the V6 and Turbo wide arched cars in rFactor. I think it's the best looking wide arched Mk1 I've seen. I'll have a chat with my mate and see if he can make some adjustments to the original model. Shouldn't be that difficult to stretch some bits here and there. But I may have to substitue some gold on silver BBS rims instead of the Borbets! :)
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Bevor I kicked the plans for the engine swap on my Mk1 I was looking for a nice option to display additional results like oil temp and boost. As I hate collections of gauges in my cars I bought a very nice item that may be interesting for You too. An old school HKS Camp System:

nedward

Post by nedward »

How about mounting the gauges to the steering column surround.

When I bought my car they were above the heater controls but I found the cable routing unsightly.

Not the most useful photo but i'm sure you get the idea.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Dylbie, yes by all means use what you like for the Rfactor model, if you need any specific dimensions let me know.

Thanks Xlarge, problem is i already have all of the extra digital gauges bought now, i'm using my Innovate LC1 wideband, a D-PIC gauge and a gear indicator project i'm working on, the first two gauges will be useful, the gear indicator is just a novelty item and i'm enjoying making that work, but not much use unless i forget how to drive :)

Thanks Ned, i had considered around the cowling, and also the usual pillar trim mod, but that's a little F&F for me....... that reminds me, must rivet my chequer plate to the floor properly :D
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

In our track car I've fitted guages where the two low down vents would normally be, it's not ideal as they're not really in line of sight but for guages that you rarely need to look at it saves them from cluttering the place up
XLarge

Post by XLarge »

Are You useing the Innovate system offen ? I heard it´s not trustworthy on long term use. I´ve choosen the system from Zeitronix because of that.

I immolated two vent grills for the info center on my Celica too:

tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

Are You useing the Innovate system offen ? I heard it´s not trustworthy on long term use.

I have been using it constantly for 3-4 years covering ~5K miles without any problems.

Hi Paul, have to congratulate you on this build. Its looking awesome :clap:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I've never had any problems using the innovate WB either, thanks Tony :thumleft:
coanda

Post by coanda »

Busy busy I see!

I'm working on a housing for above the central panel...

There will be a nice front finisher on it when I finish that.

I'm using this project as an intro to Carbon Lamination so will make a female mould of the main housing and lay-up on that. The front finisher will be rapid prototyped and filled/finished. not sure on whether to Finish that with carbon or just paint it satin black at the moment.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

That is awesome, i'll be very interested in that when it makes production, any idea on timescales?
nedward

Post by nedward »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Thanks Ned, i had considered around the cowling, and also the usual pillar trim mod, but that's a little F&F for me....... that reminds me, must rivet my chequer plate to the floor properly :D

You need to be careful, wouldn't want to blow the welds the on the intake! :roll: lol
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

LOL it's ok Ned, the 2gr intake is made from plastic :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

coanda wrote:Busy busy I see!

There may be a slight viewing problem with this design Coanda, i mocked up my triple pod today in the same place, and the wiper switch control knob obscures the right side gauge right across the middle of it, you have to lean at all sorts of funny angles to try and see around it.... that may be a problem, perhaps mod the switch knob and rotate it up or down a little?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It appears my normally aspirated 2gr-fe is making MORE power with its free flowing intake and Berk exhaust headers than the supercharged Evora 2gr-fe makes in stock form, that's pretty impressive.
MartG

Post by MartG »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zvwx ... reb_17.jpg

There may be a slight viewing problem with this design Coanda, i mocked up my triple pod today in the same place, and the wiper switch control knob obscures the right side gauge right across the middle of it, you have to lean at all sorts of funny angles to try and see around it.... that may be a problem, perhaps mod the switch knob and rotate it up or down a little?

As an alternative, could the dials be mounted on top of the binnacle pointing upwards so you see them reflected in the windscreen, HUD style ?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

A HUD would be pretty good, i'll look into that :thumleft:
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Or mod the knob. They work just fine without the arms on.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”