Drilled brake discs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

synXero

Drilled brake discs

Post by synXero »

Saw this AMG today. They use drilled discs...

We all shout about how bad they are on here and how they crack and such. Surely they aren't that bad if performance Mercedes and many others use them?

Are there any reputable, high quality drilled disc manufacturers? I have super super expensive Supra discs on mine just now but drilled is a good look on an aggressively styled car.
Harold

Re: Drilled brake discs

Post by Harold »

The issue is with cheap drilled discs from eBay or the like, if not done properly then you'll have problems with cracking.

I'm not sure if I'd be changing brake discs for purely cosmetic reasons though, as long as they do the job well then they could have yellow and brown stripes on for all I care.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I've had problems once before with drilled discs, never again blanks work so much better in terms of reliability. After the drilled ones failed they replaced with grooved and they seemed fine, and helps with even pad wear etc.
Loque

Post by Loque »

I had drilled and grooved mtecs on my Mr 2, never had an issue with them. They're OE fitment on my Boxster S, and again, had no problems, nor have I heard of anyone having problems with them.

Standard thoughts on them on here seem to be that it's better to buy standard discs and fancy pads like Carbotechs and the like.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

To be fair I think mine we're a dodgy batch, grooved are a nice concept though not too keen on drilled unless it's standard fit. I had plain brembo blanks and DS2500 pads with braided lines on the EP3 and it was a perfect combo.
Nic

Post by Nic »

AMG drilled discs £K's, eBay MR2 drilled disks £'s. The difference is in the design, materials used, years of R&D, the manufacturing process and quality control.

If you have Supra discs fitted Endless and Project Mu make good quality single and 2 piece standard sized discs, not cheap though! Or if you're really serious about stopping i know someone who can make a full floating set of standard sized Supra discs.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie »

Not just cheap discs at all... we had a Nissan GTR at my old work and it had cracked discs at the drilled holes! and these were silly expensive :roll:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Nic wrote:AMG drilled discs £K's, eBay MR2 drilled disks £'s. The difference is in the design, materials used, years of R&D, the manufacturing process and quality control.

If you have Supra discs fitted Endless and Project Mu make good quality single and 2 piece standard sized discs, not cheap though! Or if you're really serious about stopping i know someone who can make a full floating set of standard sized Supra discs.

I have a pretty pricey set of two piece DBA aluminium centre grooved discs. I don't think they do drilled.

I know AMG discs are vastly superior to Eva specials, but that wasn't really what I was asking... What I was really wondering was, is there a supplier of quality drilled discs?

I don't plan to change as mine should last a loooooooong time considering how little work they have to do stoping a featherweight!
cosmos

Discs

Post by cosmos »

The trick is to manufacture a disc with holes in...not to manufacture a disc and drill afterwards, i'm assuming a stress relieving process is the key.
cosmos

Discs

Post by cosmos »

The trick is to manufacture a disc with holes in...not to manufacture a disc and drill afterwards, i'm assuming a stress relieving process is the key.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

as said above, I believe a lot of the high end 'drilled' discs are actually cast with holes in them already and even then they still have cracking issues.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”