[Mk2] [NA] Flat spot?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan6926

[Mk2] [NA] Flat spot?

Post by Ryan6926 »

Hi all I've done a quick search and I think I know what the answer is but not sure

Basically as you may or may not know I've recently got a 92 G-Limited N/A and compared to my old Celica with the Rev 3 engine it seems very laggy / hesitant

Now it's 15bhp difference between the revs so that might explain it but the MR2 feels quite hesitant in 2nd when you plant the throttle

Normally moreso when it's cold although I don't throttle it properly when the engines not up to temp but there's a hesitation first

My thoughts are it'll need a service soon anyway although the guy 'apparently' serviced it 2months ago but the oil would suggest otherwise

Would my theory of plugs be correct would you say please only I don't want to throw money I don't have at the car on a wild goose chase

Also do the plugs have to be platinum or would Iridium be better suited please?

Cheers in advance

Ryan
synXero

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Flat spot?

Post by synXero »

It's worth inspecting or replacing as much of the ignition system as you can afford to. Distributor, rotor, and sparks. It's worth doing HT leads but only if you buy legit good ones and they aren't as cheap as other bits listed.

Also worth a practically free job - buy some intake cleaner and dosassble your intake system up to the plenum. Clean out all the poo from in there, particularly in the throttle butterfly.

There's a lot you can do for not too much cash!
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

synXero wrote:It's worth inspecting or replacing as much of the ignition system as you can afford to. Distributor, rotor, and sparks. It's worth doing HT leads but only if you buy legit good ones and they aren't as cheap as other bits listed.

Also worth a practically free job - buy some intake cleaner and dosassble your intake system up to the plenum. Clean out all the poo from in there, particularly in the throttle butterfly.

There's a lot you can do for not too much cash!

Nice one cheers, I'll want to buy Magnecor leads to make sure they're good quality as I don't trust other knock off brands etc

Are BluePrint any good for bits for Jap cars, It's the first import I've had before. I'll be buying NGK plugs for it though I don't like the idea of cheap parts on a car I want to look after lol :)
Nic

Post by Nic »

With any second hand car - unless you have paperwork to back up a sellers claims - I'd always start by giving it a thorough service; all fluids, filters, ignition parts, etc. also check the brakes and suspension components.

Ryan6926 wrote:Nice one cheers, I'll want to buy Magnecor leads to make sure they're good quality as I don't trust other knock off brands etc

I'd fit genuine OEM Toyota or Denso (who are an OEM manufacturer) leads, they will fit perfectly and are better quality than most of the aftermarket 'performance' alternatives.

Ryan6926 wrote:Are BluePrint any good for bits for Jap cars, It's the first import I've had before. I'll be buying NGK plugs for it though I don't like the idea of cheap parts on a car I want to look after lol :)

Again I'd always use genuine OEM Toyota/Denso parts, I'd start by fitting a new distributor cap, rotor arm and NGK Iridium plugs. I'd also check if the oxygen sensor is working, they have a limited life span and once gone they'll cause the engine to run rich.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Baker

Post by Baker »

ignition timing.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Cheers for the replies, the engine has been replaced less than a year ago so I'd have hoped that they would have been able to do that properly when the clutch / timing belt etc was done ?

Looks like I'm giving her a good service then if that fails she'll be finding a new home I suspect :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Maybe.
But get it checked anyway, takes 5 minutes.
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Cheers I've just given Eurospec in Guildford they're able to check / adjust it for 25 quid so a fair bit less than I expected so that's a relief lol :)

Cheers for your help guys it's apreciated :)
rs007

Post by rs007 »

NGK leads were a bit cheaper and are spot on.

Plugs wise, I wouldn't bother with iridium etc, it encourages lazy servicing IMO, as well as some horror stories Ive read about them coming apart in the 3S, I'd just fit decent "normal" plugs and replace more regular, price wise there isn't much difference, I'm using NGK BCR8ES reccomended by Noz on here and I'm not looking back, cheap, and do the job very well. EDIT just spotted its N/A so that plug grade wont be right
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

rs007 wrote:NGK leads were a bit cheaper and are spot on.

Plugs wise, I wouldn't bother with iridium etc, it encourages lazy servicing IMO, as well as some horror stories Ive read about them coming apart in the 3S, I'd just fit decent "normal" plugs and replace more regular, price wise there isn't much difference, I'm using NGK BCR8ES reccomended by Noz on here and I'm not looking back, cheap, and do the job very well. EDIT just spotted its N/A so that plug grade wont be right

Perfect cheers I'll just go for the standard service then as opposed to the upgrade stuff instead,
Sorry for the delay in reply I've only just remembered this thread

I think it's BKR6EP8 they need?

Cheers
Nic

Post by Nic »

Disagree with the comment about iridium plugs, definitely worth the small extra cost IMO. I use them on the MR2 and have used them on my highly modified Supra over many years.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

That's what I was thinking if I'm honest. I've seen the Iridium IX NGK's for around 30 quid so not exactly a huge outlay to put out if it's going to make the car run better. I've gotta get the timing looked at as well so hopefully next week it'll be off to Eurospec to get the timing set up properly. I think it needs advancing but I'm no engine guru so they'll know better although I'm going to be less than happy if the sefvice / timing check doesn't solve the problem :(
Dame

Post by Dame »

I think it has already been said but don't get the Magnecore leads they're complete rubbish. NGK ones however are a perfect fit and seem to me to be as good as OEM. My feeling is that Iridium plugs are also definitely worth it. They stay working properly a lot longer!

Return to “Mechanical”