[Mk2] [Turbo] Rebuilding Shocks - specific oil type / quantity?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marlowe

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rebuilding Shocks - specific oil type / quantity?

Post by Marlowe »

Because of the ridiculous cost of refurbing my Teins and the fact I was never the biggest fan of their ride (I bought my Rev 2 as an affordable GT rather than a track day monster), I've sourced a set of cheap second hand rebuildable (Rev5) struts which I am currently stripping back and repainting, which have been matched up with a set of Apex -30mm springs to keep the car lowered, but a bit more UK road friendly.

Due to the fact that one of the rear inserts has failed, I've ordered a pair of Kyb (Kayaba) rear inserts, as they seem to have a reasonable reputation.

This is my first time dealing with a rebuildable gas strut. Unfortunately getting the thing apart led to a lot of the oil in the shock body escaping. Can someone advise me on the type of oil to use, and if there's a set quantity? I couldn't find any info in the BGB workbooks I have.

Thanks. :thumleft:
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rebuilding Shocks - specific oil type / quantity?

Post by Peter Gidden »

If you've bought inserts, just remove the strut cap, empty out all the bits inside, insert new strut, and refit cap.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Thanks Peter. Is the oil surplus to requirements?
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Some folks recommend putting a few cc of engine oil into the strut casing before dropping the insert in, for rust proofing and to aid heat dissipation, but it's an optional addition really.

Return to “Mechanical”