3SGE running like crap, massive let down for first drive

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

3SGE running like crap, massive let down for first drive

Post by CalMac »

First drive this afternoon - took it nice and easy to begin with thinking I'd give her a nice run before opening up (hasn't been properly driven in a year) and when I was confident the temperature was ok I gave it some beans only to discover that there were pretty much no beans! #-o

Also it then promptly decided to overheat when I got home and the 'TRD' rad cap (marked 1.3) began steaming :-s The coolant was only changed last week.. So I've stuck the OEM (marked 0.9) cap back on and that helped to maintain the temperature in the mid-range - I've ordered a new thermostat anyway just in case.

But the lack of power, I don't get. It sounds like a straight-piped V8, really burbly and sort of.. chuggy? But when I put my foot down it wheezed from 20 to 50 in about 10 seconds ](*,) Also it keeps stalling when I let off.

Drove it home like this, then took it out about an hour later and the exhaust note had changed to Jap car - performance was much more what I had expected, then reverted back to dull mode after about 5 minutes.

I've changed the oil and filter, changed coolant, Magnecor leads, Dizzy cap and rotor arm, Spark plugs, air filter, throroughly cleaned the TB and intake manifold, and it's got plenty of fuel.. Could it be a clogged fuel filter or knackered pump? Also I've read that it may be the coil pack or ignitor.

What on earth is going on? :(
synXero

Re: 3SGE running like crap, massive let down for first drive

Post by synXero »

CEL?

How old is the fuel?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

sounds like it was possibly running on 3 cylinders.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

£30 of super unleaded in last night (from the pump) hoping that would sort it, but no difference!

There were various dash lights on when I turned the ignition on (didn't want to start it as was late and my neighbours weren't pleased :lol:) Don't know if they'd go when the engine is started, I'll see at lunch.

The battery light has remained on constantly throughout a new alternator and several batteries though :-s
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Have you checked your error codes?

Michael.
Http://www.planet-wax.com, Mobile Car Valet & Car Detailing based in Glasgow.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

See everyone talking about checking error codes all the time, but I have no idea how to :oops:

Don't I need diagnostic equipment or something?
Donato

Post by Donato »

It sounds like it's running on 3 out of 4 cylinders. Check your spark plugs all have a proper connection
blue2

Post by blue2 »

The overheating issue is probably air trapped in the system. Theres a specific way of changing the coolant on these cars, its a pain but needs to be done that way.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Sorted the misfiring/3 cylinder issue - there's a loose connection in the injector wiring. I've temporarily cable-tied the black plastic surround into place and it's now running perfect :thumleft:

Still getting to the bottom of the overheating - so far I've found that there's no power going to the rad fans, although I've pulled the relays while checking with a voltmeter and none of them seemed to affect the operation of the fans! :-s I'm thinking the fuse box lid may relate to a different revision or something..

Once that's sorted at least I can get the alignment and tracking done, and the ever-deflating OS front tire #-o
synXero

Post by synXero »

Magnecors will be to blame! Stay away seems to be the advice.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

synXero wrote:Magnecors will be to blame! Stay away seems to be the advice.

as above, toyota ones are best or possibly blueprint?? could be getting mixed up with rx8 though, been a while since i change HT leads on a mr2 :D
synXero

Post by synXero »

Definitely Toyota.

The beams leads are coil on plug leads so a bit if a different case, but always always Toyota.

I just paid £336 for four cop leads and a gasket set...
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Luckily I've got a set of almost new Toyota leads which I can try if I don't get anywhere when checking the injector wiring. Need a dizzy cap with 5mm terminals though, will have to be a blueprint for now as I only have 2 days left until Europe now!

Drove my KA to work this morning and it felt QUICK in comparison to my 2 :pale: lol
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Are Magnecor leads really that bad? I've had some on my car for over 2 years and its fine :/
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Are Magnecor leads really that bad? I've had some on my car for over 2 years and its fine :/

Yes its bad because they are a bit hit and miss. I've had mine on my 2 for 7k miles now and it still looks brand new and works perfectly. However, others arent so fortunate..
Draven

Post by Draven »

I had a similar problem.. it ran like crap and kept cutting out when i took my foot off the fun pedal.

Did diagnostics got a code 14... Ignitor..

Replaced

It is fine now. :thumleft:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Engine is now knocking, this is not mine but sounds just like it to me (from 14secs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_k1KUmR ... nQ&index=1

Think engines fubar'd :(

So much for my trip across Europe in the '2 tomorrow!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Mr.Two wrote:Engine is now knocking, this is not mine but sounds just like it to me (from 14secs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_k1KUmR ... nQ&index=1

Think engines fubar'd :(

So much for my trip across Europe in the '2 tomorrow!

that's how my old NA sounded when it broke the oil pick up ring, the engine just about went on fire shortly after that :(
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Going by the evidence of Youtube it would appear that the sound is a rod bearing which has gone wonky :lol: So I think a compression test is in order!

Now, I have a spare complete 3SGE sitting here.. same rev, import etc.

Is it at all viable for me to spend the evening pulling out the functional bearing or whatever it happens to be and swapping them? It can't be that difficult.. can it? :roll:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Mr.Two wrote:Going by the evidence of Youtube it would appear that the sound is a rod bearing which has gone wonky :lol: So I think a compression test is in order!

Now, I have a spare complete 3SGE sitting here.. same rev, import etc.

Is it at all viable for me to spend the evening pulling out the functional bearing or whatever it happens to be and swapping them? It can't be that difficult.. can it? :roll:

engine swap is probably a better idea mate :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”