IMOC Trackday- Sat 3rd September @ Elvington

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: IMOC Trackday- Sat 3rd September @ Elvington

Post by Lauren »

Sooty wrote:You need some P6000s. I started with 6mm of tread and only the rear left wore to below the legal limit and that was on the outer edge only.

I didn't check my pressures tbh, so I think they were a bit high, which probably helped the wear rate. And I certainly didn't have enough power to get them spinning apart from on the left hander before the chicane (and that was only that left rear).

I was using up some old P600s, but even with P6000s i would have still taken them down to the canvass as i had the car sliding on every corner, plus i was running 36psi cold (40+hot) on the rears, so no tyre would have lasted that long.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Speedy wrote:
I also managed to make Lauren adopt crash position (by snatching a wheel in the same place), and Scream (a little) when I mullered the cones through the last complex :) Still, I hope the car managed to impress, despite my driving!

I was actually screaming for the imminent death of those poor innocent cones! ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MarkP. wrote:
That would be me #-o .I thought the sighting laps got a little quick within the first three,trying to learn the course lay out at 70mph is a bit difficult but basically is was my inexperience that caused it,but at least i got it over with early on :D

It wasn't me doing those sighting laps was it? :oops:

I thought i kept it pretty slow, but the trouble was after about two laps i was getting a little bored and opted for the goon option.. i was told to slow down for the later sighting laps, sorry about that.
stevel

Post by stevel »

MarkP. wrote:That would be me #-o .I thought the sighting laps got a little quick within the first three,trying to learn the course lay out at 70mph is a bit difficult but basically is was my inexperience that caused it,but at least i got it over with early on :D

Hats off too you. The laps were bit fast, having said that i saw you later on that morning & you weren’t holding back :twisted:
stevel

Post by stevel »

Lauren wrote:

It wasn't me doing those sighting laps was it? :oops:

I thought i kept it pretty slow, but the trouble was after about two laps i was getting a little bored and opted for the goon option.. i was told to slow down for the later sighting laps, sorry about that.

We will forgive you, you loon :tongue:
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Did anyone manage to beat this :

129 miles driven on track.....
£31 of petrol used for those 129 miles :lol: \:D/
ImageImage
phild

Post by phild »

:shock:
well, not sure I can beat it but I did just over 130 miles on the track, and with travelling to and from Elvington (another 240 miles) managed to cane £70 in fuel, (the orange light was on during the last few miles home :?
But again, a truly fantastic day, and my thanks go out to the organisers for the top class organisation and other peeps for the rest of the entertainment...oh yes, and to a tyre company called Federal for letting me grind their cheapo (but quite adequate for the day) tyres into submission :lol:
I felt for the the guys with top rubber fitted only to see the tread dissapear at each outing!!!
I managed to spin 3 times, twice in a semi controlled fashion (yeah right :-& ) and once in a YIKES style between the fast right on turn 3 and the first chicane but at least on this one I managed to keep the engine running and pulled off without too much drama).
I was really pleased with the way the cars performed, not forgetting that most of the Mk1's and 2's had over 100,000 miles on the clock already.
Here's to the next one
michael

Post by michael »

It cost me more than that to drive there and back to spectate :(
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Goldy wrote:Did anyone manage to beat this :

129 miles driven on track.....
£31 of petrol used for those 129 miles :lol: \:D/

I did just under 2 tanks of fuel, I believe I was getting 80~90 miles from a tank. Was using Optimax on track, usually use 95 stuff on the road but for the sake of an extra 5p a litre I thought I may as well use it, over £1 a litre at Shell York though! :shock: Shudder to think what the tubby would've cost me that weekend had I used it ;)
I actually got stopped when I got back to Essex when I attempted to use my debit card to pay for yet more fuel, they cited suspicious card use (lots of fuel in Essex & York) and I had to answer a couple of security questions on the phone, lol!
phild

Post by phild »

Mike, I missed you at the JAE, and I missed you at Elvington, can I take it you were parked just outside the paddock in the tasty black Supra?
I read your posts but never it seems are destined to see you in the flesh :D
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Right, I'm confused here :?

Which Phil did I give a passenger ride in the Lotus go-kart? Was it Phild or Philw?
michael

Post by michael »

phild wrote:Mike, I missed you at the JAE, and I missed you at Elvington, can I take it you were parked just outside the paddock in the tasty black Supra?
I read your posts but never it seems are destined to see you in the flesh :D

Aye that was my car - sadly I had no idea who most people were, I couldn't even match usernames to the bookings on the BookaTrack site to look for certain people... probably walked past you a few times :)
phild

Post by phild »

Icsunonove...It was me...brilliant driving mate, thoroughly enjoyed the experience, damn fine brakes, I have red marks on my shoulder from the seat belt lol
phild

Post by phild »

Mike, I had the G-Limited with the Irish number plate and old 14" wheels with the center caps missing, (yeah but they were my "track day set") :roll: could easily be spotted from the smell of burning brake pads after a session on the course :D
philw

Post by philw »

Icsunonove wrote:Right, I'm confused here :?

Which Phil did I give a passenger ride in the Lotus go-kart? Was it Phild or Philw?

Heh must have been phild.

You came over to see me and Chris early on whilst we were rigging up the camera gizmo!
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Icsunonove wrote:Right, I'm confused here :?

To add to the confusion I'm another Phil and I had a ride too :mrgreen:
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

phild wrote:Icsunonove...It was me...brilliant driving mate, thoroughly enjoyed the experience, damn fine brakes, I have red marks on my shoulder from the seat belt lol

Yeah, I've still got the red marks from my 4-point harness on my left shoulder, it's never happened before. It must have been that long right hander before the back straight (there's no marks on my right shoulder at all). I got really confused there. Nearly everyone seemed to be taking it as two corners, I am sure it was quicker taking it as one (might be wrong, but that's the way I did it).

The back straight was a bit frustrating in the go-kart. I guess the apex speed from the corner was about 85-90 mph, but with only 118hp I only managed to reach a top speed of 104mph (at best) before I needed to get the anchors on for that left / right chicane. Really need to sort that out....

Here's a pic Mark Nias took during a slowing down lap.....

Copyright Mark Nias 2005
Last edited by Icsunonove on Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Icsunonove wrote:
phild wrote:Icsunonove...It was me...brilliant driving mate, thoroughly enjoyed the experience, damn fine brakes, I have red marks on my shoulder from the seat belt lol

Yeah, I've still got the red marks from my 4-point harness on my left shoulder, it's never happened before. It must have been that long right hander before the back straight (there's no marks on my right shoulder at all). I got really confused there. Nearly everyone seemed to be taking it as two corners, I am sure it was quicker taking it as one (might be wrong, but that's the way I did it).

The back straight was a bit frustrating in the go-kart. I think the apex speed from the corner was about 85-90 mph, but with only 118hp I only managed to reach a top speed of 104mph (at best) before I needed to get the anchors on for that left / right chicane. Really need to sort that out....

I also took it as one long corner, everyone finds their own methods of doing things I guess :)
Managed about 98mph on the straight before standing on the brakes, didn't have the legs for any more, I was trying to get it to an indicated 100 (turned into a personal challenge ;) ) but didn't have the cojones to brake any later!
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Goto10 wrote:
I also took it as one long corner, everyone finds their own methods of doing things I guess :)
Managed about 98mph on the straight before standing on the brakes, didn't have the legs for any more, I was trying to get it to an indicated 100 (turned into a personal challenge ;) ) but didn't have the cojones to brake any later!

You should have had a go! It's the first time I have been on an airfield trackday and the first time I have felt free to drive without limits (i.e tyre barriers). If you couldn't stop in time you could have missed the corner completely (ask Anna, I took her for a passenger ride, decided I had arrived way too fast for the corner and simply missed it completely!)

(P.S Please check out my Anglesey trackday post in Events!)
aaronjb

Post by aaronjb »

Icsunonove wrote:I think the apex speed from the corner was about 85-90 mph

That explains why I ended up so sideways trying to follow you around it then.. :lol: Still, I feel better about my corner speeds now considering how much extra weight my Roadster was carrying (largely comprising of me :oops: :lol: ) and the utter lack of driver talent :lol:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”