[Mk2] [Turbo] Options to quieten down exhaust??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

joemacmr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Options to quieten down exhaust??

Post by joemacmr2 »

I have a twin exhaust Motoria exhaust but it is seriously loud especially at 70mph. Apart from changing exhaust what other options have I got? I've heard of sticking wire mesh up exhaust. Has anyone tried this??
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Options to quieten down exhaust??

Post by craig »

Best way is just to get a quieter exhaust, although you can get exhaust bungs for your exhaust to quieten down the noise.
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

joemacmr2 wrote:I've heard of sticking wire mesh up exhaust.

Did the guy in the pub tell you you why you might want to do that? :?
Last edited by Peter Gidden on Thu May 23, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joemacmr2

Post by joemacmr2 »

Just saw the bungs on eBay. How much do these actually quieten the exhaust. Would still like it to have some roar lol
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

I had something similar in my integra type r's exhaust and it muffled the sound quite well, only downside is it does cause a bit of back pressure too
Nic

Post by Nic »

joemacmr2 wrote:Just saw the bungs on eBay. How much do these actually quieten the exhaust. Would still like it to have some roar lol

They do quieten the exhaust note, it basically takes the edge off making the exhaust note sound more 'muffled', but they also noticeably effect the performance. As stated above, the best way to quieten the car would be to swap the exhaust.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

I'm going to block one pipe up completely on mine to test the effect. In theory it will be half the volume as its got half the tail pipes but then that 1 pipe will have twice the amoung of gasses through it. If it works I plan on fitting an exhaust valve to turn it from a single to a twin on the press of a button. Cruising and running a car on cold mornings don't need the exhaust to be free flowing and I can then press the button when I want to give it beans, could even be linked to the TVIS system.
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

I have bungs in my japspeed exhaust, makes it much better on the motorway. Performance wise, the spool isn't as quick when you put your foot down but it's marginal and not an issue on the motorway.
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

If you really like the exhaust that's fitted to your car at present, try the following.

Go online eBay etc or to a motorbike shop that sells Moto X & Enduro spares and buy some 4 stroke exhaust packing / wadding / silent-sport etc.

Cut a suitable hole in the top of the silencer (s) repack with new packing and rivet a slightly larger plate over the top of the hole, making sure its sealed with high temp silicone or flex exh paste.

4 stroke packing will run far hotter than 2 stroke stuff so dont skimp. I could explain how to re-pack in full detail, but basically dont cram the wadding in too tight.

Off road bikers and people that compete in most forms of motorsport do this all the time, I still do this on my cars etc and it always works.

Return to “Modifications”