rFactor MR2 Mk1

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dylbie

rFactor MR2 Mk1

Post by dylbie »

I haven't posted here in a long time! For some mad reason I've started work on the MR2 for rFactor again! I still need to work on making adjustments for the exterior and building an interior for the car. But the physics and sounds are pretty much done. Just need to put it to the online community to test it to iron out any problems. Below is a screenshot from the game menu with the 3 car choices. Also I've included a video of quick physics test I did. Enjoy...

VIDEO Physics test 05/13

PW@Woodsport

Re: rFactor MR2 Mk1

Post by PW@Woodsport »

This is awesome, i'm a huge Rfactor fan and have a pretty good setup at home, 40" LCD, G25, gaming rig and TrackIR.

Let me know when it's available for download :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

By the way, if you need any real world info or feedback on handling/performance for the turbo or V6 versions let me know, I've driven more of them than anyone alive :D
kherseth

Post by kherseth »

Looking good,

You know if it works in rFactor2 also? The physics there is soooo much better.
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

PW@Woodsport wrote:This is awesome, i'm a huge Rfactor fan and have a pretty good setup at home, 40" LCD, G25, gaming rig and TrackIR.

Let me know when it's available for download :thumleft:

By the way, if you need any real world info or feedback on handling/performance for the turbo or V6 versions let me know, I've driven more of them than anyone alive :D

Wow sounds like you have an awesome setup! I'm fairly involved over at F1SR who did the F1 1991 season. Do you know it?

It should be available to download in a few months, however seeing as you are probably the most knowledgable person on MR2s, Turbos and V6s I could let you have a sneak peek and give it some 'beta testing'.

It would be great to get some performance figures/graphs for the engines, and gear ratios etc. At the moment I have just borrowed some data and sounds from other mods.

Here's some sound testing:

V6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HX3DDLKEL8

Turbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=517C0aUC4ag

Enjoy!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

whats rfactor?

also the mr pic above looks awesome but is the nose a little stubby?
kherseth

Post by kherseth »

pistol pete wrote:whats rfactor?

A racing simulator, the big commercial version is used by Team India F1 team to do car setup simulation and for track learning. That version is probably a bit too heavy for most private computers.

Have just tried rFactor2, and it feels absolutely awesome. The new tire physics model is very very precise(for those who have not read a bit, tire models have always been a huge problem with car simulators).
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

I think that's almost spot on for matching my mk1 V6, mind it's not the typical V6 setup :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQty3IUGOA
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

pistol pete wrote:whats rfactor?

RFactor is indeed a racing simulator. rFactor Pro is used by professional racing teams and costs £££ bu the bog standard one will run on your PC at home. It's about 7 years old now but is still great! rFactor 2 is good but there isn't much content released for it yet, and the developers don't seem to be in any rush to complete it, and seem to have lost their direction IMO. There are lots of people who race online and we prefer the old one as there is such a variety of cars and tracks. Here's a video that was done 5 years ago, bearing in mind that there are a lot more cars and tracks released now...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphQ08xA16M

BarronMR wrote:I think that's almost spot on for matching my mk1 V6, mind it's not the typical V6 setup :)

The idea will be to have upgrades such as different power/boost settings on the Turbo car, and Superchargers or twin turbos on the V6! :) I also really want to get 2 more cars on the car list: the 4.2 V8, and I definitely want the 222D Group S rally car! :D We should also be able to get cosmetic upgrades too, like bonnet vent cut outs, side air scoops, different wheels and I want a full original set of paint colours. I had the idea a while ago also to paint up a racing series so that people here with race cars can get their paint job in the game.

The 3D model is being worked on as we speak by a friend who is great with modelling so watch this space for updates :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Sorry mate i don't know the F1SR series, i race a lot of the Porsche challenge and DRM series.

Our own Mk1 server would be awesome with scheduled races weekly :thumleft:
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Sorry mate i don't know the F1SR series, i race a lot of the Porsche challenge and DRM series.

Our own Mk1 server would be awesome with scheduled races weekly :thumleft:

Search and download it Paul, IIRC it's around 200 MB but it contains all the cars and tracks from the season. With a decent setup as you have, it's well worth the effort.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I'll have a look at that this weekend, quite fancy an Rfactor session.
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I'll have a look at that this weekend, quite fancy an Rfactor session.

If you have decent speakers on your setup, pick the Ferrari :) You won't be disappointed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VU45wrNLqk

Here's a link for 91 season download: http://hotfile.com/dl/81323603/e801b8e/F1SR_F1_1991.7z

If you wanna do some racing with us online, we have the F1 1975 mod on our servers and the cars are great fun!
Cars (1975 F1 Season): www.mediafire.com/download.php?0uq6b23au0suvg5
Track (Buenos Aires '79): www.mediafire.com/download.php?c89fblyni7j3nzn

Just sign up on the website so we know who you are :) I'll PM you the server password
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks for that, i've signed up and i'll download the 91 season today, looks pretty good :thumleft:
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

So I was having a look at the 'RallyWorldMod' for some ideas on physics for the Group B '222D' version of the MR2, and found they've already made the bloody thing!!! Saves me the time of making it myself! I have spent the last couple of days painting it up back to it's original colours!

Here's the original car:

And the rFactor version that I've painted:

A quick test at Monza with both new paint jobs. AI is driving the white car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcKP8R2H354
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

That looks fantastic, where did you find the download for that?
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

PW@Woodsport wrote:That looks fantastic, where did you find the download for that?

PM sent... :thumleft:
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

Ok so my friend and I have been discussing the original model, and decided to make a new one from scratch as the old one was looking a bit basic. Here is the new model so far, still a few bit's to finish, bit it's already looking 100 times better than the old one!

Again once it's closer to completion I'll post some more photos up for you guys to pick holes in! :)
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

That definitely looks a lot more 'right' than the old one did. How do you go about getting the general shape for something like this? Is it based on an existing model from another game or do you have to generate every surface completely from scratch?
dylbie

Post by dylbie »

Well usually we can use a model from a different game or modify one that has been made already. Then for it to be legal, we have to gain permissions and credit the original work.

In this case though it's all being done from scratch. The original model had a lot of errors when we studied it in detail in the modelling software. The majority of the modelling work is being done by my friend who is a whizz with the software. I am directing him with adjustments as I have a real MR2 tucked away in the garage, and can supply photos etc.

Once the exterior model is finsihed, I'll then be adding the handling and engine physics which I am fine tuning at the moment. I have made a turbo engine but it keeps blowing up, so I need to change the cooling characteristics of the radiator! Changes also need to be made to the setup of the car. Gear ratios, final drive and supsension settings and ride height etc.

I have already completed the sounds for all 3 variants, so all that's left to do now is model the interior, add working speedo, tach, fuel, oil, volt and temp guages and then it'll be ready for release.

At it's current stage I have 4 cars: Mk1 NA, Mk1.5 Turbo, Mk1.6 V6 and the 222D Group B rally car. These will all be available in their original factory colours. If the project is popular and a success and has enough interest, I will be painting up race cars, both from the current championships or past championships/custom paint jobs. All with permissions and consents of course.

The great thing about rFactor is there is no commercial agenda. So if you have a copy of the game, this will all be free to download :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”